GI Upset

rshevin

Post   » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:42 pm

Well, Piggy was doing so much better last night and this morning but when I came home for lunch, he hadn't pooped and felt very gassy. Fearing bloat, we went ahead to the vet. She felt lots of gas and went ahead and took an x-ray to check for a blockage and also for urinary stones.

The images showed a lot of gas and that was it. No blockage, no stones. So we have 0.15mL cisapride (sp) BID and continuing with the simethicone. I hope this helps!

He's still eating very well. I made some thick critical care to help replenish intestional bacteria if necessary. He lapped it up from the spoon. I'm still worried about the little guy though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:41 pm

I am hoping things improve for you too. Is your pig pooping okay?

rshevin

Post   » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:49 pm

He pooped a little at the vet but I'm almost out of towels and all out of quarters so I haven't been able to cover as much of his cage as I'd like. He's eating hay and drinking water so that's positive. It's nearly time for his evening medicine. I have absoutely no idea what instigated this episode. I know I'll be worrying for days until I'm positive he's better.

To make matters even worse, a fellow rescuer dropped off my new foster cat and he's skinny and has pink eye. I'm assuming this is transmissible to both me and the pig so am super duper washing up hands every time I leave the cat.

Well, back to pig nursing.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:01 pm

I was hoping to get one more question in before the thread falls down into oblivion.

How long are GI stimulants like cisapride usually given? The vet has suggested 2 weeks but that seems like a long time to me.

klynne

Post   » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:27 am

Recovery from stasis CAN take weeks. 2 weeks is probably an okay course of meds, as long as you continue to see improvements and no serious side effects, I'd go with the vet's advice.

Stasis recovery is start and stop, keep in mind. You may see a good day, or even two or three, but then bam! right back into it. I'd use the meds and get him really going again, especially since you said he's had this issue in the past.

Oh, and you do know you can "bump" a thread back up once it sinks, just by searching for it, and posting again on it, right?

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:51 pm

Thanks klynne. I only worry about longer term medicine use because he can't tell me how it makes him feel and the cisapride was taken off the market for humans. The vet wants to see him back next week so we'll see what they say then. I'll keep him on it until then. Whatever flavor they're using to compound it is a HIT with him that's for sure. I don't even have to pick him up to administer it and can hardly get the syringe back afterwards so at least it doesn't appear stressful.

He's been doing well for 2 days now so I'm encouraged. I'm very lucky I live close enough to check on him at lunch time or he would have been a VERY sick pig. The past 2 days I've come home to a nice pile of "perfect poos," large, dark, moist, and well shapped.

Again, I appreciate all the advice! I definately don't want to pull him off the med too early but nor do I want to give him more than is necessary.

Edit: It was about a year and a half ago that he had this issue before so luckily it doesn't appear chronic. I'm going to ask the vet if there's a way to keep cisapride powder or tablets stable for long periods so I can have at least one dose for emergency in the future.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:24 pm

I went to do the laundry and when I came back in, I found Piggy looking uncomfortable and very gassy. He's passed poos today (they have decreased in the past hour or two) but I am worried as always. He took about 2 teaspoons of thick critical care and carrot mush from the spoon to replenish any missing intestional bacteria and took another dose of simethicone and cisapride.

What, if anything, needs to be changed in the diet/lifestyle of a pig prone to these problems?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:59 pm

Encourage eating as much hay as possible. Other than that, I think you are doing your part. He has to do his part too.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:02 am

Maybe more excercise?

rshevin

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:28 am

It's been about a month and Piggy still has days where he only passes very small, softer stools so I'm still giving occasional cisapride and simethicone as needed.

The one thing I notice is he consumes a lot more water on the cisapride days. Has anyone noticed it makes their pig more thirsty? Luckily I have the big rabbit bottle so he doesn't come close to running out.

I'm doing my best to encourage hay eating and floor exercise but I'm afraid he's developed a somewhat chronic condition. I'm wary of long term cisapride due to the risk of heart arythmia (that's why it was restricted in the human market).

Weight, temprament, etc are all constant.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:59 am

In Plumb's I couldn't find much of anything helpful. I did notice that if there is an overdose there is GI distress and may be more frequent urination. So possibly with normal doses there is some diuretic effect and feeling of thirst? They didn't say anything to indicate this. Just a wild guess.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:19 am

Ok this question/concern has nothing to do with stomach problems but this is Piggy's only medical thread and far be it from I to violate forum rules.

Just a minute ago I heard this really odd noise coming from the floor where Piggy and Smudgie are wandering around. Piggy had smushed himself into a shoebox where he normally NEVER fits and was almost hyperventalitating. I removed the box and he ran over a foot or so and stook stock still, breathing very heavily, sides moving in and out, and it almost looked like his gultius maximum muscles were in on the game. His mouth was open just ever so slightly but not moving. Something about his posture made me think of chirping but he definitely wasn't making any vocalizations.

This went on for a considerable number of seconds but by the time I got up to get the camera, he had stopped (of course). He's now sitting in the hay box munching perfectly normally, running around, and generally being pig like.

What in the world was that?