Tea Tree Oil

Wheekers3

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:52 am

Yes, it has been found to be toxic in small amounts. It can do some real liver damage.

I found the info in search a while ago, but have lost the link. Did you try "Tea Tree Oil Toxic"?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:04 am

pogolysmom

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:41 am

Thanks. That was great information.

So much for the idea that herbal is better.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:19 pm

How in the world do you treat fish with tea tree oil sef?

Or do I not want to know.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:23 pm

You justput it in the water. I used it once and it worked fine on my fish.

cavyman

Post   » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:16 pm

I found articles about using tea oil on two sites. Both quote Peter Gurney, a noted GP authority.

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/skinp.htm says:

I always use my formula of essential oils to treat this condition
which seldom fails to deal with it. The oils are tea tree, lemon grass, patchouli, and lavender at a nine to one ratio with a carrier oil, ie, ten ml of the essential oils to one hundred of carrier oil.

http://www.smellyhippy.com/Peter_gurney/m.html says:

The formula is as follows. One part each of Patchouli, Lemon Grass, Lavender and Tea Tree oils to ten parts of Neem oil. If you cannot get Neem oil any good vegetable oil may be used. People sometimes get confused about these amounts but to put it more simply, if you use 2.5ml of the essential oils, making a total of 10ml you dilute that with 100ml of the carrier oil.

Both sites seem really knowledgeful and holistic. I have two pigs with fungal infections. I am currently using a lyme and sulfur dip, but I think I will give the essential oils a try. My piggies HATE the dip, and it makes them smell like rotten eggs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:29 pm

Not sure why you would use a folk remedy when better products are available. I would use something that has been proven to help and avoid this product.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:03 pm

would use something that has been proven to help and avoid this product.
Ditto.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:31 pm

Ah, geez. Here I was excited to have another male member on the forum. Sorry, I can't support such treatment for many of the reasons listed above.

Peter Gurney, may he rest in peace, had numerous dangerous treatments listed on his site. I understand wanting a more holistic approach, as I continuously am researching and using many holistic treatments, but there are safe and dangerous treatments out there. People should inform themselves with proven medical documentation and knowledge of physiology, not word-of-mouth breeder treatments.

Tea tree oil is indeed toxic. There are much better options. Fungal infections by and large are secondary problems, so not only does the fungus need to be treated (topically is best and safest), but the underlying cause needs to be resolved as well.

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:50 am

What other underlying causes are you referring to? My pigs are kept in clean dry bedding that is changed often. My house is not humid. Is there another underlying cause out there that I'm not aware of?

Wheekers3

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:39 am

I think we would need to know more about the symptoms.

You say a fungal infection and that is about it, I believe. If you have said so, please re-inform.

What makes you think it is fungal in nature? What does it look like? What is infected? How long has this been going on? We need more info, please.

Do you have a good camera? Can you take a picture?

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:59 am

I'm positive that it's fungal because I got ring worm on my face from cuddling my poor pig. When the site said it was contagious, I didn’t know they meant to humans. Anyway, I had bought my Tina from a pet store (first mistake) around May, within a week, she had a scab on her head between her ears from scratching. I thought that she had run into something and had cut herself. When she was very young, she would run laps around the cage like a banshee. Shortly thereafter, she had hair loss in the same place and I got the ring worm. I treated the site with an antifungal and just as that spot was clearing up, she got a spot on her rump. I treated that and it was going away fine until I left her with my friend while I was on vacation. She didn’t treat the site and when I came back from 2 weeks of vacation, I was back at square one treating the same rump site.

I wish I could figure out how to send pictures. Right now it doesn't look like much other than hair loss because I've kept up with treatment and she has healthy looking skin right now. But, since she is prone to fungus, I would like to know more about "underlying causes". Thanks. Hope this was helpful.