Soft poop: what the vet said

klynne

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:57 pm

Somechick, be careful the Simethicone suspension you are using does not contain any of the sugar alcohols, as these cause gas and diarrhea in and of themselves, and are completely counterproductive to what you are trying to accomplish. They would be listed under inactive ingredients. Typical ones used are: Maltitol, Sorbitol, Xylitol.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:09 pm

klynne,
I looked for those once and all the OTC ones I saw had something in them to sweeten so babies would take it. What kind do you use that doesn't have any sugar alcohols in it?

somechick,
I would treat for 2 days and see if you get any improvement and then play it by ear. Sometimes I first treat 2 times a day for a "few" days and then go down to once a day and am careful to look for any changes. You could also decrease the amount you give. However you are comfortable.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:16 pm

I wonder, though, if the amount is so tiny in the very small amount of simethicone if it would really hurt?

I must admit that I've used simethicone quite a bit with no ill effects. I suspect the amount of whatever it is used to sweeten them is so tiny as to be pretty harmless - just my opinion of course.

klynne

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:35 pm

There aren't any local brands in my area without the sugar alcohols, rshevin.

I have friends who have found brands sweetened with Saccharine, which has its own controversies as a carcinogen, but, like Mum said, the tiny amounts. Really would be great if we could find a health food store that would carry just pure Simethicone.

As far as the sugar alcohols, I think myself that it depends on how sensitive the individual animal is to it.

I had one who got violently ill, tons of gas and bloating, with it, so vet prescribed more Simethicone, for the increasing gas. Then the gas got worse, so more Simethicone, then it REALLY got bad, and finally, light bulb moment, we realized the cure was worse than the disease in that case. Within hours of discontinuing the Simethicone, the critter was better.

The big problem is, since these animals are already exhibiting GI symptoms when it's given, how do you separate out what is causing what?

As Salana said, though, it makes no sense to mix in an ingredient known to cause gas and diarrhea with an ingredient supposed to cure gas.

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:21 am

Oh jeez. Well my vet just gave it to me in a generic bottle with the vet label on it, so it's not listing ingredients. Hmm.

Today will be my second full day so tomorrow morning I'll check for improvements. The thing is, when I tap on her side it still makes that hollow noise, I guess meaning the gas pockets are still there.

So should I treat until that sound goes away? If it *doesn't* go away by Monday should I reschedule the vet visit sooner? Is it enough that her poops look better? Who knew gas would be this much of a problem.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:26 am

Simethicone is pretty benign. I would treat as long as you are pretty sure there is gas.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:41 am

Don't forget the belly massages. Piggy always farts afterwards so I assume it helps a little. You have to be firm but gentle if that makes any sense. You definatly don't want to hurt the little baby.

I understand where you're coming from klynne. I wonder if perhaps your animal had an atypical reaction to the actual simethicone. It happens sometimes. Doesn't take anything away from your valid concerns of course. I'll keep my eye out for ingredients but I guess it's like everything else in life, you have to weigh the benefits and risks.

If I had your experience, I know I'd feel the same way. Since I've has success with it in my pig, I'd continue to use simethicone, albet with a more educated, watchful eye.

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:10 pm

The boyfriend thought he heard Piggie Crocket fart today after the dose. He was sitting there and said it just sounded like a little tuff of wind. Heh.

I'll try the belly rubs. But she's so chatty that I don't know if I'm bothering her or she's just being noisy. She already gained 2 ounces (up to 1lb 7oz - some was lost when the poo problem started) so that's a good sign I hope.

I'm wondering though -- these gross poos she's leaving behind. *IS* it possible it's the cecal ones? Shouldn't she be eating all of those and not leaving so many behind? Hmm, it's probably not though because all her poops look gross so it's not like ALL she's pooping is the cecal ones. Ok forget that.

Klynne - if your pig had gas but reacted badly to the simethicone, what did you give it to fix the gas? You said after discontinuing, the pig got better, but...wouldn't it still need an anti-gas agent?

rshevin

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:45 pm

somechick,
I know what you mean about chatty pigs. I have a hard time with that with Piggy myself. All I can suggest is to try and hold her somewhat loosely and assume she'll struggle or try to escape it if isn't comfortable. I've never heard him fart but phew can you smell it!

They could be both cecal and soft poos. The few cecal pellets I've seen are definatly greener than regular poos. About the color of a forrest green crayon perhaps.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:33 pm

"But she's so chatty that I don't know if I'm bothering her or she's just being noisy."

You'll be able to tell. She may actually enjoy it, at least for a short while. But if not, she'll either make what you'll recognize as an aggravated noise, and if it's helping her, you may not necessarily want to stop just then. But if it really makes her uncomfortable, she'll let you know. She may make a sharp squeal, or some other noise that you'll immediately recognize as QUIT.

klynne

Post   » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:04 am

Somechick, I would not discontinue Simethicone as directed by a vet; I'd just try to find an alternative brand.

In my case, we used motility drugs, Reglan and Cisapride, after getting a clear Xray of the abdomen to make sure there were no blockages. A moving, working GI system passes the gas right on thru.

I also use herbal treatments, like Chamomile and Peppermint, quality herbs that I get from an herbalist friend--but these are not *proven* to work and there aren't really any known dosages, so I cannot tell others to use them or not--it's just my choice for my critters.

somechick

Post   » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:38 pm

Okay, well there's been no squeels of pain and also no bad smells so maybe I'm not belly rubbing effectively. I don't know if it's helping either. While she might actually be gassy, today her poos were...wronger than usual. There were three or four that were connected by a string of I don't know what. Looks like we'll be doing a fecal next week.

I was hoping there'd be some improvement by now. There was the slight weight gain, but the poos are still not right. She still sounds hollow while tapping her sides I *think* but I can't get a steady enough grab on her to tell.