Baking Soda?

MelNH

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:04 pm

Baking soda isn't dangerous even if they were standing directly on it. A little baking soda on the bottom of the cage might help but as other people have said it might cause crusty gunk.

Avoid crushed limestone, that will cause health problems. I have seen it sold in pet stores as a product to reduce odors.

cosmo

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:18 pm

carefresh

cosmo

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:22 pm

I just got my guinea pig a little over month ago and its my first one does anyone have any helpful hints of what i should and shouldn't do.

some web sites say dont feed him dried fruits/seed mix and red cabbage and some say to give it to them.

Also what is the best carrying case i should get him?

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:26 pm

Carrying case? You mean a travel cage to take him to the vet and things like that?

cosmo

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:36 pm

yes, I am taking him to the vet friday just for a well piggy check up and to find out how to cut his nails and stuff like that.

lisam

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:38 pm

Cosmo, click on this https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html . It is a basic guide. Then read the rest of the stuff on Guinealynx. That must be your pig in your avatar? Very cute.

As for a travel case, I have one of those little pet carriers that are made for smaller pets, they open like a clamshell and have a wire grid at the top. Or in a pinch I use a cardboard box! I put fresh veggies and hay in it.

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:42 pm

The travel cage doesn't have to be very big. Basically any pet store cage that does not have a wire bottom should be fine.

If you have C & C supplies, you can build a 1 X 1 or a 1 X 2 grid travel cage with grids, zip ties, and a small piece of coroplast.

Once finished, I use those black and silver paper clips that fold over to secure the lid.

cosmo

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:50 pm

Thanks for the advise.

Yes that's my piggie, (THANKS everyones piggies are adorable!) I'm just trying to find out everything there is to know. I never been around piggies, always had dogs growing up. I got him 2-15-03 he was very small. He is the coolest little guy and the whole family adores him.

FLOOR TIME: he has a one of those play gates (for floor time) and he can climb over it so i bougt a taller one and he tries climbing up that too. I have very small space in my house what do you do for floor time?

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:53 pm

Make sure there are no obstacles where he could get caught, and nothing dangerous, like electrical cords he could chew on. Then just let him run, and clean up if he makes a mess (or don't clean up, it's your house, I don't really care).