What To Do When A Guinea Pig Falls Into Your Lap

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:43 am

They are both precious. We need to see more pictures of those babies.

Your cake looks fabulous also!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:11 pm

Sid is very much the grumpy old man. Although he was always a gentleman with Maise. But he grumped with the kids. He was always saying, "Oh heck! They're picking me up again. You've had your cuddle, now put me down!"

He always has this look of 'and why are you bothering me?'

Sid's grumpy constitution lead us to a tale of an Alternate Harry Potter Universe. In our story, Hermione trapped Voldemort in his animagus form for all time. He is now known as Lord Voldeboar, or the Dark Lord Sid, and lives with us. Note the pale colouring, red eyes, slitty nostrils, and long skinny digits. A fitting end to the most evil wizard of all time to be loved and cuddled by a little girl for the rest of his life.

When they first came, Sid was definitely the bolder of the two. I think he was just to stubbon to bother with hiding. Maise managed to traipse around the garden with a pile of hay on her back. We have loads of pictures of Sid and the moving haystack.

Maise was 2# 2 oz. when we got her and Sid was 2# 12 oz. Look at Sid's coke spoon toenails in the first picture! That and the green water told me I was going to have more work than promised.

Thanks for the comments on the cake. I really enjoyed making it. I've done a horse, a Lisa Frank design, Jade (a Bratz), Barbie, a Snitch, Scooby Doo. Lots of stuff. I found that all I coudn't do with oil paint, I can manage with sugar.

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:22 pm

Cute pics! I love Sid's grumpy look.

The hay in the pictures aren't what they usually eat, is it? It looks brown and dry and more like straw than hay.

It's cool that you can make all these different kinds of cake! If you have any more pics of other designs you've done, post 'em here! I'd love to see them.

happyhoppy

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:18 pm

Bethie, your pigs are adorable. I love Sid's grumpy expression.

I love that cake, it's art! I don't think I could cut that to eat but it also looks delicious.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:15 pm

Unfortunately, that is the hay they came with. Every place I've been to here has the same kind of meadow hay. Even the sacks in pet stores are brown. I did get some Timothy Hay that they don't eat. It's still brown, but it's much softer. They forage mostly on fresh grass and don't eat much of the hay.

I've found a source down south from which I can get some better quality hay. I bought a sampler of several of their products. Most of it was like what is sold here, but three or four where actually green and soft. Today, I actually found a localish shop that sells Oxbow. It's about 20 miles away, but if the price is good, it will probably be cheaper than having it shipped from Berkshire. I have to go price it next week.

Here's a cake I did for Bonfire Night:

Remember! Remember! The Fifth of November!

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:49 pm

Oh, I see. I can imagine how frustrating it must be, not being able to find good-quality hay. I hope the oxbow nearby works out for you.

Cool cake, again! At first glance I thought it was a pumpkin, until I saw the sticks underneath and the bits of red in it and the caption "Bonfire Night"! How'd you make it that shape?

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:43 am

I baked the cake in a glass mixing bowl. The peak is built out of icing.

I think I'm going to start a cake topic in General Chat. Then I'm not distracting from our piggies here.

Maise asks, "Say, Mum, is that edible?" Sniff. Sniff.

Kellyjo

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:19 am

So your pigs live outside?

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:12 am

Unfortunately, kellyjo, they do. The last 'discussion' about bringing them in resulted in a great deal of marital discord. I have not given up, though. I will have them in one way or another. It's just a matter of getting it done without alienating the billpayer.

I do have a dry and temperature constant place to keep them, but it doesn't allow contstant interaction with the family as they have now. So, they can be safe, but it's still not ideal.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:31 am

My first move was to throw away the bottle with the green water and get them a new one. I started researching what they should be eating and found that the coloured mix they had was not a good choice. I went to the local pet supply shop and couldn’t find a good quality pellet, but I did find a mix similar to the one they were eating that didn’t have any horrendous chemicals or seeds in it. It did have food colouring, but they all did.

After a bit of research, I found that they needed a bigger run and something interesting to do. There was nothing in their hutch, but hay. First thing we got them were some chubes and cuddle cups. They liked the chubes and sat in them while munching on grass. They kept hiding under the cuddle cups, so my husband flipped them over and the piggies loved them much better as pigloos.

"So, what are we supposed to do with this stuff?"

A trip to the farm shop and Maise and Sid had a 100 sq. ft. run. By this time, Maise had come out from under her haystack and was happy to munch grass in the sun. She also found her voice. Sid remained quiet, except for low rumbling. But Maise wheeked cheerfully to greet us each morning. She wheeked for cuddles. She wheeked when she wanted to be left alone. She was the little lady with the big personality.

Cozy Pigloos are for Kipping.

And eating.

I finally found a good quality pellet; supposedly the best in Britain. I was put off by the smell when I opened the bag, but eagerly offered it to our piggies. Maise was first at the trough. (Sid always let Maise eat first.) She began digging in the dish and pushing the new pellets out onto the floor. When she had enough of it pushed away, she began eating her old mix. Sid sniffed at it and decided hay was a better option. I tried offering nothing but the new food and hay. They ate the hay. So, I gave the stuff to a friend who had gotten guinea pigs for her daughter for Easter. Her babies loved it. They must be too young to know better.

The kids spent hours outside with the guinea pigs and the bonds quickly grew. Our daughter would sit with the pigs in her lap feeding them grass and dandelions. They were happy to sit there and bask in her love. The kids immersed themselves in the cavy world. They made up stories and songs. The re-wrote the Monkees theme song for cavies. Our family now has loads of ‘inside jokes’ about pigs. The carrier I bought for them became known as the portaloo.

The Queen

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:56 am

I'm loving Maise! Sid is gorgeous too.
I was put off by the smell when I opened the bag
I'm thinking this shouldn't be. What brand is the pellet? What are the ingredients?

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:02 am

It was the Burgess Excel for Guinea Pigs. It's supposed to be a good feed, but it did smell strong. I think someone else here on GL said that their piggies wouldn't eat it either. (We got our first bag of KM's Timothy on Friday!)