A Day in the Life...

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:44 pm

We HAVE to have picture! That Whiskey sounds absolutely adoreable!

Fossil Barb

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:17 pm

Oh, no! You stopped again! GASP! Sorry to put so much pressure on you. Maybe you can talk some of the other 'chronicleers' to post and take the heat off for awhile? We've got several great stories going here. Yes, we do need pictures as well. Maybe one of your kids can fill in for you when you're busy from their prospective? Anything to keep it going.

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:50 pm

A Day in the Life continued...

I take a deep breath and select another box. Mocha. This is the female that will find a new home with some very lucky adopter. I have to admit that it's a little like Christmas opening each box.

It's a big box that is holding Mocha and I take another breath and hold it as I pop open the lid (please don't let this pig be even BIGGER than Paul Bunyan Whiskey!). I blink. Mocha is small and petite and well...gorgeous! Her little button nose is dark, but the rest of her is a mixture of white and a shade of tan that is like pale wheat stalks glimmering in the sunshine.

Wow! I mean, wow! Your beautiful, little girl! I've picked up lots of girls this size so she doesn't scare me. I decide to put her in the petstore cage because of her size. She lets me pick her up and her fur is soft. The minute I set her on her feet in the cage, pow...she is in the hidey and makes like a piggy statue so I don't see her. While she's here, I could easily like her best.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:59 pm

Ohhh, how cute. Thanks.

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:54 pm

I decide to tackle the sanctuary sows next. I select Guinea (The Other Nice Lady admitted it was not a very imaginative name). Let's see what we have in here. Oh my. Guinea is a big agouti that is broken up in the back by patches of solid red. It is the first time I have actually seen an agouti in person. Stunning.

The only thing that takes me aback is her bugged out eyes. Can a pig's eyes bug out too much and tumble out of their eyesockets?

"Guinea, keep your eyes in!" I warn as I lift her. She is plump and squishy and a total love. Crap! Not another nice pig. And the poor little bumblefeet on this one too. I'm thinking I'm going to like this one the best.

Deep breath. Skittish, crazy pig next. If it's too crazy, maybe I could remove it from the box with salad tongs. I pop open the box marked Truffles (I'm on a roll now).

Hmmmm. Um. I have to say it is funny looking. Black and shiny, but funny looking. It's a short-haired pig but the hair on its rump looks like it grew in the wrong way. Or someone petted its fur backwards and it stayed there. It also has a fringe of hair that sticks out along the sides of its pear-shaped rear end. The front of the pig, it's head and neck, are scrawny. It has a comical looking face. It's eyes are alert.

"Okay, funny girl, let's get you into your new cage."
I reach for the tiny thing. There is a blur and my hand meets air.
"Now hold still!"
Again, there is just air where the pig was. I decide to try both hands.
"Come here pig...No! Now stop that! I'm going to catch you! Darn! Now hold still. Your making me look bad! Hold still, will ya!"

I can feel sweat breaking out on my forehead. I glare at the tiny pig and it's innocent looking face.

"Hey, Mom, why don'tcha just grab it and lift it out of the box?" says my youngest son as a way to be helpful. I glare at him.
"What do you think I'm trying to do?" I reply through clenched teeth.

After some more chasing and grunting and a couple of "Holy Buckets!" I actually manage to snag the little eel and lift her out of the box. She weighs nothing in my hands and doesn't struggle now that she is caught.

She shoots immediately into the hidey house when I set her down. (She sits unmoving for two hours until I remove the hidey house to sweep up poops. Then she becomes animated. She runs around checking out everything. She bops noses with the dog. She chatters at Guinea through the grids. She popcorns. While I sweep up the fleece, she runs around behind the dustpan to check it out. And she likes her head scratched. Ya know, she's not so funny looking after all. I think I'm going to like this one the best!)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:05 pm

They all sound so sweet!

Whiskey sounds like my nephews' pig (minus the bumblefeet) -- a big, lovable guy.

Where are the photos? (hint, hint)

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:35 pm

This story gets better and better. I sure hope after all the packages are opened pictures will soon follow.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:04 am

Goodie, more! I'll be back (in the a.m.). Such fun.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:55 pm

Angel and Precious will be housed in the C&C cage that is propped on two endtables (purchased at Goodwill for $5 each...what can I say. I'm cheap!).

To get to the cage with the box of guinea pigs, I have to wade through a pile of dirty clothes, pokemon cards, rocks from the front yard (his rock "collection"), and various stickers, acorn tops, legos, K'nex, parts to the castle, little metal cars, plastic rings off milk jug caps and a little flashlight that's been broken for years but that he won't allow to be thrown away because it's red and that used to be his favorite color.

I sure wished my son wouldn't mess up my guinea pig room...er, his bedroom so much. Kids have so many more possessions nowdays than we did as a kid. I mean when I was a child I had a cardboard box as a bedroom and a sock with a string around it as a doll and I kept it all as neat as a pin. Oh wait! No! Never mind, that wasn't me.

Now, I'm immediately suspicious of two guinea pigs that are named "Precious" and "Angel" because they probably aren't. People often bestow on a poor critter a name that is completely the opposite of the animal's personality.

Case in point, is my husband who has teased more than once about his secret desire to adopt a 3 pound chihuahua and name the poor thing, Rexor the Destroyer. Of course, he also insists that the word "chihuahua" means "fits nicely on a taco."

So, as I am opening this last box, I glance around the mess that is in my son's room for something I could use to defend myself, if the need arises. But inside the box are two smallish guinea pigs huddled together and they only look helpless, scared and vulnerable.

I capture the first one without too much trouble. It is an American that is white and brown but the white and brown are not the same on both sides, so if you take one picture from each side it looks like you have two different pigs. I like those kind of pigs because if you are easily bored you can train the pig to face it's left side to you on even days, and its right side to you on odd days. For variety.

"Well, aren't you a little Angel!" I tell the pig (later, I do find the pig's mugshots on The Other Nice Lady's website and discover this one is Precious). She hangs there unmoving, so I send my son for the fingernail clippers and take the opportunity to trim her nails. I think I could get to liking this pig best.

"And aren't you the most precious thing!" I say to the last pig as I hoist it out of the box (uh huh...Angel). This sow has a prominent crest on her head and is the color of muddy dishwater. She also has a thin strip of tan around her middle and her fur is longer than an American's. She has a nice rounded nose like my Izabo and she also hangs very relaxed in my hands so I trim her nails too. She seems...very sweet. I think I could get to liking this pig the best.

The next few hours are spent filling hay racks and water bottles and food dishes, running to Mounds for pig food and cat food and another water bottle and sweeping up pig poop. And any minute I get, I just sit there and stare at the new arrivals.

That night I go to bed with a nagging feeling that I have forgotten something. I suddenly realize it must be that I never gave Pig Fun Skipper her nightly cuddle.

"Sorry, Pig Fun!" I call out softly in the darkness. Sacrifices. We all have to make sacrifices. And I fall soundly to sleep.

Prologue: The following morning I discover that Angel and Precious have no pellet dish in their cage (any wonder the hay is all gone?). Poor precious angels. Unless I DID give them one and they ate it...

The End

rshevin

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:09 pm

My cat is STARING me down right now because I am cracking up to the point of tears. You tell such a great story!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:37 pm

No No not The End. Please tell us there will be more installments. This is a great story, now we need pictures and updates.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:36 am

WI this was only the arrival. Now we will expect updates as often as bean cleaning will allow complete with pictures, etc. I won't survive without more!