Soft poop: what the vet said

somechick

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:48 pm

Bah. I asked the receptionist on the phone to spell it for me and that's what I got. No wonder there was no pharmaceutical site with my spelling.

Ok soooo...knowing that it's basically the same as Baytril, either I might as well use Baytril (which I don't want to because of what happened with 'Ferd) or I should use something else - what else?

I'm quite lost with all this info.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:36 pm

I'm also Baytril-phobic having had several pigs not tolerate it. However, it is a really good a/b when the pig can take it. If you know what you're looking for, it really doesn't do much harm because you can stop it the minute the pig stops eating and recovery should be pretty quick.

somechick

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:34 am

Ok, so should I just go to the vet and ask for Baytril instead? And if PC stops eating, then what do I do? Since Zeniquin basically equals Baytril, I wouldn't know what to go to next since he said Bactrim-types (sulfas?) won't fix this type of infection.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:37 am

I think I'd give the baytril a go. Be sure you get an adequate dose, though (check the dosing calculator in the Care Guide).

I wonder about Chlor if the baytril doesn't work? Doxy (dosed at 5mg/kg)?

If the pig stops eating immediately switch a/bs and handfeed. Appetite should return in a day or two.

somechick

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:42 am

While I'm there, since I'm an hour away and they like to make me drive there nine times a week, I might ask for Baytril AND a backup in case of disaster.

Anyone have a preference on Chlor vs Doxy?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:45 am

Doxy is very benign and is almost always tolerated. Chlor is - I believe - more like baytril in that it isn't always tolerated. But he may say Doxy won't help with this problem. Chlor is not readily available and should be compounded (with doxy you can get a standard pediatric suspension at Rite Aid).

somechick

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Hmm this is a tough one. I wonder what's going on that with PC that is so severe that Bactrim won't work. I don't exactly know what it means to have high white blood cells.

I'll give him a call tomorrow before I drive up there. Ugh.

somechick

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:32 pm

Oh jeez, PC is sitting all puffed up and not interested in veggies or wheeking. I haven't even gotten the ABs yet. Going to the vet soon, but I don't know what's wrong now.

somechick

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:30 pm

Back from the vet with some drug info if anyone (Lynx?) is interested:

Cisapride: vet said the only reason it was taken off the human market was because a few of the people on it had heart attacks (I THINK - either way, something happened and they died) but those particular patients who did die from the use of it were *already* cardiac patients so it's not necessarily unsafe, but Janssen pulled it due to law suits. He said it's still available for human use in other countries.

Zeniquin: kind of the same as Baytril but he said it doesn't break down into floaxins like Baytril does and he has used it in pigs and has not seen any intolerance yet.

He said that PC probably has a GI infection and he'd rather not give Bactrim because he feels Baytril/Zeniquin work better in this situation.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:37 pm

Your vet is absoutely right about the cisapride. I don't hesitate to use it short term and I like to have it on hand for emergencies. The only concern I have is with long term use and the animal not being able to tell me if he feels funny. In your case, I think it's 110% warrented and I sure hope it helps PC. It may be the kind of thing to keep an open eye for unlikely cardiac problems, because well, why not.

That's very interesting to know about the Zeniquin. I hope she tolerates it well. I'd start right off the bat with probiotics AND poop soup and everything else you can imagine to help prevent any possible GI issues.

It may be of interest that I've recently found out Piggy gets soft, gassy poops from bell peppers. Figures he wouldn't be able to tolerate the only super high C veggie that isn't also high in calcium. I've been giving them for months now and it only just started happening.

Dear Piggy Crocket:
It is time for you to make solid beans again. Your mommie is very, very worried. You will have to take nasty medicine until you stop making all that gas in your tummy. Please listen to me.
-Piggy

somechick

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:42 pm

Hee. Thanks rshevin/Piggy, but clearly PC does not listen :).

Tonight I started the Zeniquin and I'm going to handfeed soon (already some weight loss) with some poos mixed in. Tomorrow morning I'll begin all 50 of the meds up again. Sigh. The vet doesn't seem to think this is as bad as I think it is, but poor PC, she's all puffed up.

I hope this helps. This is nuts. And I thought Sanford was bad. Jeez.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi,
Just wanted to wish PC well and hope that the meds provide some much-needed relief SOON. Poor little thing. =(