Soft poop: what the vet said

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:02 pm

Same here.

I still wonder if Flagyl would be of help.

somechick

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:04 pm

Well the fecal didn't show anything so I don't know that it's parasites, the blood work showed elevated white blood cells so an antibiotic is in order. We'll see what happens this week.

What's the reason behind the puffed-up-ness though? Discomfort?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Thanks for the added drug info. I don't know anything about that antibiotic. Oh, I take that back -- you're talking about marbofloxacin. According to Plumb's Veterinary Handbook it is a quinolone.

Safety of marbolfoxacin during pregnancy has not been established.
Adverse effects/warnings (potential carilage abnormalities in young animals) -- usually limited to GI distress like vomiting, anorexia, soft stools, diarrhea and decreased activity. Antacids may bind to it and prevent its absorption.

somechick

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:37 pm

So Zeniquin is marbolfoxacin? Ok. Looks like the same SE's as Baytril. I'll keep my eye out. :\

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:41 pm

It's in the same family as baytril (enrofloxacin).

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:34 am

Right.

Why the puffed-up-ness? Discomfort?

I tried hand feeding PC but she won't swallow the stuff and since I've done this with Sanford successfully, it's not like I don't know what I'm doing. She CAN swallow because I see her eat veggies and hay, so if she's just being stubborn, what can I do?

I'm really concerned that she's not getting better. Maybe the A/B will help because if she doesn't improve now then I really don't know what else to do. I'm more worried over this than I was with 'Ferd.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:12 am

The boyfriend just told me when he left the house he went over to see her and she stayed still when he went to pet her (which she never does) and is all puffy again.

I feel sick and I don't know what to do. She's only had 2 doses of the a/b so far so maybe I'm overreacting, I don't know.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:18 am

I don't think you're overreacting. Call your vet and describe what you and boyfriend are seeing.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:46 am

I will. This vet is only open late enough for me to get there on Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take her to dumb-vet tonight if the vet wants to see her but I cant get to him.

lisam

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:59 am

Yes, puffed is bad. She doesn't feel good at all.

I'm sorry I didn't go back and read the whole thing, but was she puffed before, or after the antibiotic?

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:02 am

She was puffed yesterday afternoon before I took her to the vet so it's not necessarily antibiotic related. Maybe the a/b just needs to kick in? I have no idea!

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:41 am

Vet told me to keep up the a/bs since it's only been two doses so far and to bring her back tomorrow if no improvement. Handfeed, suplement with C, etc, the basics.

The worst thing about this is that it started out as something so little - just some gas, and totally snowballed into this mess. And I'm sick because I feel I'm doing all I can, but what if it's not enough, or the wrong thing - she can't tell me what's wrong exactly, yknow? Nothing like sobbing in your office.