Spay... and then some.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:49 am

So sorry you two are having such a rough time, newwave_polly. The pellets in a blender with baby food squash sounds like a good choice. If you aren't already putting some on a plate for her to try to eat when you're not arround, I would do so. I take it you're weighing her once or twice a day?

newwave_polly

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:59 am

She's lost a lot of weight lately, and she's still losing. It's no surprise really, since she's not eating, but I'm really worried about her.

This vet said if she's not eating in a couple days to let him know and get her back into the office. What can he do though, that I'm not doing? He can't get a good look in her mouth without sedation either, so neither of us can see what her teeth look like beyond the front ones.

newwave_polly

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:48 am

I found a vet!! :)

I got a recommendation today from someone at work that has guinea pigs. It just happened that I had to call her on a work related issue and the first thing she asked was "How're your pigs?" That turned into her giving me the name of her vet who she raved about. The clinic is about 45 minutes from my work, or about 25 mins from my home and is awesome! I called this afternoon, said Beatsie isn't eating, and they fit me in for a 5:15 appointment today.

The vet tech gave me a 3 page guinea pig care sheet to read while I waited for the vet and it was like reading GL. Hallelujah! Then, the vet spent over an hour with Beatrice and I, giving me lectures on guinea pig care, diet, things to watch for, explaining piggy digestion, drawing me diagrams of maloccluded teeth. The office closed at 6, but they stayed with me until 6:30. I've never felt so happy to hear a lecture before. The info was great.

This vet actually even looked in Beatrice's mouth with a speculum and showed me her teeth so I could see them for myself. He also examined the hay I had in her carrier to make sure it was a good grass hay. I got the "grass vs. alfalfa for an adult pig" speech from him too. It was music to my ears. :)

Even better, they also sell Oxbow stuff. I got some Critical Care, which I've been phoning all over for and nobody's heard of it... although, according to one other vet in town, the CC for kittens has been discontinued, in case you're wondering. (what?!)

So, the scoop on Beatsie is that her molars are okay, but her incisors are a bit short to pick food up on her own. I'm to continue the handfeeding, with CC now finally, and monitor her progress. She may also have an infected tooth pulp or possible abcess not yet visible in her mouth. I'm supposed to continue her on the ABs, but apparently Chlor-Palm might not be the best to clear it up. If it's not working, he'll give me something else for her.

I'm so relieved about this!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:10 am

Congratulations! That is such good news. Here's hoping Beatrice can now make a full recovery. (Now if I could just find one. A cavy saavy vet, that is.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:53 am

So glad to hear you found a good vet! If you have a Cavy Health Record Book, you should lug it along. Maybe then the vet will be impressed :-)

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:09 am

Thats great news for you and Beatrice. I hope she gets better now. It's so hard to find a good vet that you can trust.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:20 am

That is great that you found a good vet. Hope Beatrice feels better soon.

newwave_polly

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:25 am

That's a great idea, Lynx. I don't have the record book yet, (shame on me!) but I plan on ordering one with my calendar order soon.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:22 am

Bobbi, just seeing this now, damn.

My vet also sells critical care, if you need some I can expresspost a package to you, let me know. I know you aren't close by but if you need to give my vet a call if you have any questions.

He said he is going to drop by my work to see me and give me some info on some stuff so I'll let him know about your situation. If you want his number just let me know and I'll fire it over to you.

He knows Pinta's vet too and also Legendre (teeth guy) does do some of his pigs and rabbit with teeth problems.

newwave_polly

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks Karen, that's great to know. I've actually got a pack of CC on order from Ontario right now, but last night I also bought some from my new vet. I heart my new vet.

The connection to Legendre might come in handy. Hopefully Beatsie's teeth are on the mend now, but I'll definitely be in touch with you if there's any more trouble.

The vet clinic I went to last night is Sidney Animal Hospital. I don't have the card with me with the vet's name on it, but there are two exotics vets there.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:45 pm

Great to hear. Let me know how it goes and if you need anything.

newwave_polly

Post   » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:41 am

Beatrice is hanging in there, but still unable to eat on her own. I can tell that her front teeth are too short to allow her to grab food. I'm feeding her CC. She's not attempting hay or any veggies yet at all.

Just wondering, how long should I expect her to not be eating? How fast do their teeth grow? I know these are pretty individual questions and will depend on the pig and the teeth, but it's been a week since her dental. It would be nice to see her attempt some food on her own.

Are there any foods that would be easier for her to eat I wonder? The only thing she's attempted has been cucumber that I cut with a potato peeler, so it was just thin slices. She showed an interest in them, but got pretty frustrated when it wasn't easy to eat.