Soft poop: what the vet said

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:51 am

This morning she's puffy still, but less puffy. She's more mobile too. Wheeked for vegs and is moving about some. Got up a few times during the night and saw her out and not hiding. Which is hopeful. The a/b might be doing something although I don't see her eating her pellets...right.

I have metacam here but she's already on four things plus the nystatin which I'm still not sure on. Calling the vet today to see what he says.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:28 pm

"The a/b might be doing something although I don't see her eating her pellets...right."

Right.

Let us know what the vet says.

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:16 pm

Took an xray - nothing. Sent more blood out for testing of zinc. We'll see. The Simethicone is clearly not doing anything so he took her off that and put her on therabloat instead. He seems unsure to me at this point. He knows her gut isn't acting normal but he can't figure out what's causing the gas (that's not going away) or the motility problems (that also aren't going away). He knows we need to get these back in order, but he says GI problems are normally fixed with drugs. I don't know why her's aren't being fixed.

Nothing seems to be helping. She's puffy again. I'm freaking out and I'm in dispair. I have no idea what to do for her. I'm giving her the reglan/propulsid and it's not helping, the gas is still there. I'm assuming the infection is also because we just started the a/b.

What can I do? Who can I call or go to or ask for help? I don't know what is left after this. I need for her to get better - not only for her sake but because her buddy, Henry will be so lost. They're a bonded pair and they're only 9 months old. I'm so distraught. I don't know what to do.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:33 pm

I would not give her metacam with so much GI upset. Is she pooping still/ how much/how often? What does it look like? How is the handfeeding coming along and how often/how much? Get a different opinion about using both reglan and cisapride. Talk to your vet about that combo. It's a powerful combo and might be doing more harm than good. Ask your vet.

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:56 pm

She is pooping, but they're few at a time and spaced far apart. I wish I had better time frames but I don't. All I know is that they're minimal compared to the other two. When she does poop, they're pretty normal looking now though.

The handfeeding is hard with this one. Yesterday I got about 30ccs in and today about 21ccs only. We were at the vet from 6:15 until about 8:15. She eats vegs and bites at hay. She ate one or two pellets today.

I don't know who to talk to about the reg/cis combo. I don't know any other vet in my area that's cavy savvy. He said to call him tomorrow and he might take her off the reglan. I feel like I have nowhere to turn.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:04 pm

I think getting a second opinon from your vet is fine. When people vet hop precious time and history is lost. Unless it's critical, staying with the same vet is important. He seems to have your pig's best interest at heart and is doing everything he can.

The handfeeding seems really good. I know it's tiring but it will sustain her and you're doing a good job. Keep doing what you're doing. It's a positive thing the gas hasn't caused more severe issues. What dose of simithicone are you giving?

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:14 pm

She was originally on Reglan and Simethicone. Then when that didn't work, he added the Propulsid and Nystatin. Then the bloodwork came back for infection and added Zeniquin. I asked him about all the drugs and he didn't seem concerned about the reg+pro combo. But he told me to call back tomorrow. I don't mind staying with the same vet, but if nothings helping...I...I don't know what to do.

I don't know the mg per kg or whatever it is for simethicone because it's not on the bottle. We started out with .2cc 3x a day and he upped it to .4 every few hours. So it's way over the recommended dose here. It's just clearly not working. Maybe this therabloat will.

I always hear though that you should see improvement relatively quickly, and I'm not seeing that.

Edit- and that's the thing, I think the gas has caused these severe issues. At first it was "just some gas". Now it's motility and infection. I don't know where to turn or what else there is to do.
Last edited by somechick on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:15 pm

We had one with a rare disorder our vet diagnosed as 'acquired megacolon'. The condition has a lot in common with these threads:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... highlight=
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24715
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... highlight=

I'd:

1. handfeed her as aggressively as possible
2. call the vet tomorrow and see about dropping one of the two -- either reglan or cisapride. I'd be tempted to drop the cisapride before the reglan, but I am NOT a vet.
3. Will she let you massage her belly/stroke her gently? If you let her out for supervised floor time, will she run around? Getting her moving without traumatizing her may help.

What's Therabloat? What's in it?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:20 pm

somechick, severe issues would cause death. She's not at that point yet. I've used up to 1cc of simithicone.

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:32 pm

Reading these links now. Therabloat is by Pfizer for bloat in cattle. As far as whats in it, all I can see is poloxalene.

About megacolon - is this something that could crop up out of nowhere one day? Because this is how it seems with PC. She's fine, then one day some soft poos, take her to the vet and now full blown disaster. And would an xray show a sign of this?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:34 pm

Megacolon can happen from stress, diet, some genetics are involved as well. It happens suddenly. She might not be able to tolerate greens at all.

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:36 pm

HollyT - you don't think? I live in fear that each night will be her last. I'm sure I'm too close to the situation to think rationally about it though.

It's weird that she would suddenly not tolerate greens. Oh and looking at those photos of the rats, she's not nearly that boulbus on the sides.