Flystrike

Gimlipig

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:25 pm

I just got a pig in that I believe is suffering from fly strike. She has maggots on her bottom and is not eating. I've been treating with bactrim since two nights ago. Can anyone give me information on how to treat her? Is a vet visit required for this or can I do things at home? I'm hand feeding and watering.

EDIT: I just wanted to note I think she has improved since two nights ago. She was more listless and squeeling in pain once in a while. She wasn't even eating veggies. Now there are no squeels and she is eating her veggies. She seems a bit more energetic, but still not quite the same.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:34 pm

How did she get flystrike? Is she housed outside?

I believe the vet will need to debrade the dead tissue. I'd get her in asap. At the very least she'll need pain meds I would think, apart from the antibiotics.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:35 pm

Can you remove the maggots? From what I understand, some maggots only eat dead flesh and actually do a service if there is a severe injury (though it looks horrible). It's important if you remove the maggots to clean things out well. You don't want to kill them and have them decompose in the wound.

Sorry I have no further info (and my advice looks kind of mixed but I imagine you get the message).

Gimlipig

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:38 pm

She was kept inside. A girl who gave her to me because she was acting weird had her in an apartment and didn't keep her cage clean, got a fly infestation in the apartment, and you can see where it goes from there. Will be removing maggots now, I just noticed them this morning.

Gimlipig

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:47 pm

Just called our cavy vet office. The cavy vet is out for "a couple of months" but the secretary is phoning her to ask her what to do.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:00 pm

What's the standard of care for horses/cows with this condition?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:03 pm

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:46 pm

She needs to see a vet. If there are maggots there is dead tissue, if there is dead tissue a debridement is needed. I would think that this would qualify for animal neglect at the least, abuse possibly. That is terrible. I am glad she is in your hands now.

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:00 pm

There actually doesn't have to be dead tissue to get them started. Just dirty or even just urinated on fur for the flies to lay the eggs.

If there are now wounds from the maggots, antiobiotics need to be considered.

I can handle just about anything. Maggots make me seriously ill however. I'll deal with them, but I do it while gagging. This poor guinea pig.

Gimlipig

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:37 pm

Yeah, it was pretty gross. I hate maggots too. The vet shaved her backside and said she didn't see any sores. She looked at a urine sample and said that there were a few blood cells in it, so she might possibly have a UTI. I think she thinks the maggots were just there, and aren't whats causing this pig to be sick. She gave injectable ivermectin and another oral ivermectin for 10 days from now. Gave me more bactrim as well.

lisam

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:44 pm

Poor pig. Good there weren't any sores. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for her.

klynne

Post   » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:32 pm

Be very careful with this one--flystrike can be deadly for a number of reasons.

Maggots can and do also eat healthy tissue, and often invade internally through mucous membranes. Rectal/vaginal routes are common.

Maggots also release a toxic substance when crushed, so if any are (gag) smushed when removing them, and the skin is broken, it can cause a shock reaction in the affected animal.

Abscesses can form around maggot wounds, the animal can go septic, etc.

A pox on anyone who keeps an animal in conditions to be susceptible to this.

If you can find a knowledgeable vet, at least a partial bath/dunking is probably in order, and the pigs' nether regions need to be searched thoroughly for signs of internal infestation.