New rescue: Underweight Boar

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:06 pm

It's a lot but better than staying there! ;-)

Don't freak if he doesn't eat too many pellets. Best if he does, but if they're accustomed to crap, they won't necessarily eat Oxbow's or KM's right off.

Mushballs in the morning may be a good idea. Keep us posted.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:12 pm

The good news is he LOVES his hay. He's probably never had any in his entire life. Even if it takes him a little while to warm up to pellets, at least he's eating plenty of hay.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:19 pm

Excellent. That'll get his weight up quicker than anything, in our experience, and will also help with any dental problems he may have been developing.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:36 pm

I thought 874g seemed heavy for how he feels. I turned all the numbers around from the time I walked from the bedroom to the computer.

Correct weight should be: 748g

Uh, yeah, I feel like a fool. He's still chowing down on hay and making piles of poops so that's good. Poops look GREAT.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:39 pm

Still not horrible. That's about where Taylor started and he is now 1158. He too loves his hay.

Get into the 550's (for an adult), that's horrible.

klynne

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:42 pm

Looks like plain old urine scald from filthy conditions to me.

Seconding the advice on wash gently with warm wet cloth, apply diaper rash cream.

Thanks for saving the little dude from shelter life.

Hmm, what could we name him to honor Spot--there is definitely a resemblance.

Spot-deux?

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:43 pm

Semi - Spot

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:46 pm

Or 'lil Spot

rshevin

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:52 pm

I gave him a soft wipe with a warm washrag. Nothing really changed but he didn't squeal in pain either. I may have some vaseline I can put a tiny bit of on there tonight.

The only house resident with opposible thumbs fell asleep on the couch for 2 hours and so didn't make it to the drug store tonight but will be there bright and early tomorrow. I'll use the opportunity to treat myself to some coffee from the heavenly local place. Yum.

The only concern I have with a Spot name is that my 20 year old cockatiel's name is Spot. I don't know if that'd be weird to name them the same thing or not, although Semi-Spot is hilarious.

dragnsl

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:53 pm

Definitely looks fungal to me which is extremely common in the poor rescue guys which come in on nasty bedding. And of course the mites are incidental because a lot of times they are not using the kiln dried bedding to begin with (if they are using wood shavings) so the bugs come in on it and voila! bugs on poor piggy!

So Ivermectin a very good idea, the clotrimazole a good idea and wait on the bath like you said. After you bathe him, wait a few hours to put the cream on him cause it can burn once you get all that extra scrufy stuff off and get a bit red and then they bug at it a bit. I found that out once and ended up bathing the pig again to get the cream off. I felt so miserable because I had no idea!

You are also lucky he took to hay right away! Some of my fosters take a week or more to decide that it is edible and delicious!

He is adorable and 750ish is not bad; could be better but he seems to have a healthy appetite so don't worry yet.

Good luck and love on the adorable little guinea pig for us!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:53 pm

You could call him "Semi" for short. Ph a bird named Spot how cute, sometime we need to see a picture of Bird Spot.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:59 pm

This is my "husband" Spot. I was 5 or 6 years old when we got him and I was the one who picked the name. Not only does he have spots, he leaves them too.

I think I'm definately in for a combination of treatments but if I'm lucky, everything is external. The ivermectin, monistat, and diaper cream all sound very safe and benign to me.