New rescue: Underweight Boar

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:14 pm

Well, I'm home for lunch now and I have good news!

1) Smudgie had his feet up on the pellet bowl when I walked in

2) No weight loss since morning feeding

3) Took CC out of syringe on own, this gives me hope to switch to mushballs and then straight pellets ASAP

Still haven't ruled out teeth problems of course. Just wanted to report something good for once.

(What do ya'll think of the name Smudgie?)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:30 pm

Good! We're always interested in good news!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:54 pm

Yipee, wonderful news.
I like Smudgie, a very endearing name. : )

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:35 pm

Possibly, he doesn't know pellets are food rather than a teeth issue. You will always want to encourage the pig to eat on it's own rather than handfeeding when not necessary. Handfeeding when not necessary can cause other issues that weren't there. I asked about output (don't know if you answered) as that will tell you lots about whether handfeeding is necessary. When I rescued a pig in a park, he had nothing in his stomach and output was not there. He most definately needed to be handfed. A light pig that is eating hay with good output is probably fine. He will gain the weight on his own now that you'll provide a decent diet for him. 20 grams is not really weight gain. That's just a day's fluctuation.

Another way you might want to tell if he has a teeth problem (still not clear why) is feed him a baby carrot and see if parts of it fall out of his mouth. You can do the same with an apple peel too.

Why do you think the lymdyp is necessary again? Did you try the monistat or nizoral sponge bath first and not see improvement?

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:54 pm

Holly, let me try to address your concerns.

1) I'm not planning on using lymdyp until it becomes absoutely necessary however I feel it is a useful tool to have in your arsenal and wanted to learn more about it in case I ever do have to use it on a pig or any other animal. I thought this was clear before. I appologize. He received his first Monistat treatment today. He will not be bathed until mites have had a chance to die off. If the monistat does not improve his skin by week's end, he will be sponge bathed.

2) Of course 20g isn't a daily weight gain, that was the immediate weight gain after eating to show that the food was ingested and not all over his fur and the towel.

3) His output is fine, as I have mentioned several times, however hay alone doesn't contain the necessary vitamins and nutrients to sustain him long term. A wild cavy diet would be considerably more varied than JUST grass even though this is the dietary staple for both domestic and wild pigs. The purpose of today's hand feeding was primarily to get him interested in eating and I believe I was successful. Tonight he will be given mushballs again. If he will eat this on his own, he will be given a mushball and hard pellet mix tomorrow.

4) Whenever a pig has not been given sufficient hard matter for chewing for FOUR YEARS it is always prudent to keep a close eye on any potential teeth problems. As I lost a pig very recently to severe malnutrition due to malocculsion, please be sympathetic to my desire to watch his teeth. His weight was comparable to Smudgie's.

I hope this explains my logic in working with this rescue. I have had several run-ins with GI stasis issues and I am not willing to wait until this occurs so I prefer to be very proactive.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Silly me! Good luck to you then.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:53 pm

Holly, you're not silly. Rshevin, thanks for clarifying.

I get the vague impression you're a lot like me. You talk in pieces, assuming the other party or parties is intelligent and can fill in the blanks. This doesn't always work (just ask my husband :-p). You also like to keep every conceivable useful med or piece of equipment around (or know where to get it in a hurry). Even if you'll never use it in 100 years, you know how and you've got it. ;-)

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:09 pm

Yup. I am a medical nerd. I like knowing how to get my hands on exactly what I need in an emergency. It helps the anxiety not be so bad. If I have an action plan for Smudgie, he won't get sick. It's like bringing an umbrella before it rains.

In lab, I'm the one who's nosed through all the drawers to know what chemical/equipment is where. Everyone's always asking if we have this or that.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:02 pm

Smudgie just wanted to show off his new cage. It's amazing how much bigger just a 2x3 can be. It's all made with extra cubes, an old tarp, incontinence pads, a felt reminant (I think), and polar fleece from walmart. I don't know if I'll keep going with fleece or not. This will be my experiment. Since I don't have any extra chloroplast, I folded the tarp up like a present to contain the hay. I hope it works!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:08 pm

Smudgie is one very lucky piggy, to have found you and moved into that impressive CC!
We wish him an uneventful recovery! : )

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:52 am

He seems to be doing the same today. He has his thick CC mush with pellets mixed in today. The monistat is already working on his belly. I can't believe it helped so fast!

Does anyone think this is an unusual posture for a GP? I've never had one sit on the back toes like this but I haven't had that many pigs in my house. He doesn't appear to have sore hocks and wasn't brought in with a wire bottom cage.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:57 am

Spot used to sit like that. He was incredibly old and had bad arthritis, for which I gave him metacam.