New rescue: Underweight Boar

somechick

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:03 pm

I hear ya on the GI issues. :\ Which also means I have no advice. But I wanted to say that Smudgie is very cute!

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks Mum. Smudgie could be old as well. Someone put 4 years on his intake card but it's always possible he's a lot older than that. The owners that dumped him off didn't even bother to tell the staff what his name was so I find it hard to believe they knew or cared how old he is.

Thanks somechick!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 pm

Smudgie is adorable. Keep up the good work, little guy!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:54 pm

Yes, you're doing great!

Do you notice any pain while peeing?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:59 pm

No but I haven't actually seen him pee. I am holding him for a little while every night but he is obviously scared and will only sit on my chest stock still so I don't make him socialize for long. He was on light colored towels the first 2 days and is now on dark navy fleece so hopefully if there are any crystals or sludge I'll see them.

I can see how this squat might be related to urogenital pain. I'll keep a closer eye. I've not been able to pop his penis yet so I hope that's ok. Any suggestions on stuff to keep an eye on are more than welcome.

I also haven't seen him lay down or otherwise act relaxed. I guess that could be either nervousness or pain?

Yeah, we're definitely going to the vet this week. I think I'll worry about his molars too much if I don't get someone to look at them for me. He still isn't eating but hay and lettuces on his own but eagerly takes CC from the syringe.

Edit: got an appointment with the good vet tomorrow at 9am. It's the perfect time for me. Smudgie must be lucky. Would ya'll help me tabulate what I need to ask about:

#1 teeth and weight
#2 fungus on skin (even though it's clearing now)
#3 posture: arthritis or urogenital pain?
#4 general health of course
Last edited by rshevin on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:03 pm

Work on the penis a bit. A long shot that there might be some tenderness or pain (something wrapped around it). I think of the hunching as pain.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Doesn't seem like that much of a long shot to me. I'll work on it a little tonight too.

In all honestly, in 1.5 years I've never gotten Piggy's out! I have no idea why. I try every so often, I really do. I've gotten other pigs so I'm fairly confident I'm doign it right.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:31 pm

It takes lots of mineral oil, a few q-tips, and patience.

If you've never got it out, then you really would be surprised at the crud that is sticking it in.

Spot actually had a really yucky load of crud in there when I finally got it out - it's worth doing.

You'll need xrays to check for arthritis, enlarged heart, etc. Dental xrays usually require a light anesthesia, but I'm always wary of doing that on very old pigs that may or may not have heart issues. Spot's teeth were never checked - much as I wanted to have it done.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:47 pm

I too am wary of anesthesia so I'm going to have to suffice with a visual check. It's more than I can do myself ya know.

I'll work on cleaning up both Piggy and Smudgie tonight. AFTER dinner I think.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:51 pm

The hunching also makes me think of elimination discomfort. Do you see him do that before defecating, or before retrieving a cecotrope?

It may take his body a while to adjust to a good diet.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:13 pm

Talishan, I know he doesn't appear to have any problems pooping. This pig is pooping more than any other I have ever seen, probably because his diet is mostly hay right now. It doesn't mean he isn't in discomfort, just that he isn't vocializing it in a way I understand.

Compared to Piggy his poops are normally sized and shaped, slightly greener, and a little softer but you have to keep in mind they are on somewhat different diets. Smudgie's poos, while a little softer, are still the right shape so I hope all is ok. I'll show some to the vet.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:38 pm

Dear Mum,
We heard that YOU were responsible for the indignity recently bestowed upon us by our mother. We would like to express our utmost disgust and dislike for this proceedure you recommended. It was extremely un-manly and we like to think of ourselves as very boarly boars.

Sincerely,
Piggy and Smudgie

Smudgie definately has pain around his penis. I was able to get it out and couldn't see anything but it'll be brought up with the vet. I still can't get Piggy's out. I'll let the existing oil work around and try again until I get it.