Soft poop: what the vet said

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:11 pm

I'm going to take a guess and say strangulated intestines. Her problems were much like the baby I rescued and death was fast and sudden.

There was nothing you could have done, regardless of the necropsy results.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:04 pm

I'm so very sorry, somechick. PC knew how much you loved her.

A smart doctor once told me that you make the best decisions you can, based on the information you have at the time.

klynne

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:05 pm

"We're getting a necropsy, but I almost don't want to. I don't want it to come back saying "yeah it was X and you just didn't catch it in time"."

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Bravo to you for getting a necropsy--it may help others to live in the future.

I also hope you see it as a tool for peace of mind, closure, and education.

I know your grief is speaking now, but when things are more clear, know that it is just not always up to us.

If money would keep the beloveds here, the money would be spent.

If time would keep them here, the time would be taken.

If love could make them healthy and able to stay, they'd all live as long as we do.

Some lives and loves are the richer for being the shorter. I had fifteen months with my megacolon bunny and the necropsy helped me to see that if I'd had even that one more day I prayed for--it would have been a day of pain and suffering for him.

I really suspect if the doctor who does the necropsy is very observant, they will find abnormalities in the cecum and intestines, maybe elsewhere.

You CAN handle this, with help, and you can love PC enough to let her go. Her little body doesn't hurt anymore. Peace and healing to you.

Becky

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:29 pm

I'm going to get tough with you now. You need to stop feeling guilty. If you'd ignored her symptoms during all this time, you could feel guilty. If you'd noticed something was wrong, but didn't get help, you could feel guilty.

Feeling guilty for doing what you think was best for a creature in your care is not grounds for beating yourself up.

We've all wondered what else we could have done for our pigs. I second guess myself all the time about giving my Elvis extra calcium and him ending up with a stone that killed him. The reality is, we do what we think and know is best at the time. And that has to be good enough. If you had done nothing, there's a real possibility PC would have suffered greatly and still passed on. If I hadn't given Elvis calcium, he would have slowly died a painful death much more quickly. We do what we can. We do the best we know how.

It's time to stop blaming yourself. It's not fair to the rest of your piggies. You did just fine by PC. No matter what the necropsy reveals, you did just fine.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:05 pm

There's a lot of wisdom here.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:13 pm

Second on Holly's comments. Don't beat yourself up; it serves no purpose whatsoever and it dishonors PC. You did everything humanly possible to spare her the discomfort and illness she was suffering. In spite of what you believe, it apparently was her time. Honor your love for her by being strong and taking care of your other piggies. Miss her, love her, but don't let this destroy you and your confidence. You did good.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:23 pm

I just wanted to send you my thoughts, hugs, and love. There isn't really much else I can say but I am thinking about you.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:10 pm

Somechick,
I saw this update earlier today, but just couldn't seem to find any words to write to express how awfully, awfully sorry I am. I still can't. The only thing I know to say, is that you truly did all that you could, and you absolutely must not blame yourself for any of this. I mean it.

Someone once told me "we do the best we can with the information we have." And that's so, so true. We make the best decisions we can, based on what we know or what we think is right. We can only do so much with our resources. We try everything we can to help our babies, and that's all we can do. Period. Sometimes it's enough, but a lot of times it just can't pull them through and that is NOT our faults. Some things are out of our hands. Some things happen despite our very best intentions and care. It hurts like hell when we lose one, I know, and it's okay to grieve. But please, please don't feel like you in any way let PC down. You did not. Not ever.

My words aren't very comforting, I know, but please know I'm sorry from the bottom of my heart.

Love and hugs to you,
Sandra

somechick

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:09 pm

I know I shouldn't beat myself up, and in time, I won't. It's just very new right now and it hurts very much. Around the holidays and all. Most of me knows I really did do everything. After all, there literally weren't any tests left to run. But there's still that little part that thinks, well what if I did X sooner, or I did Y instead of X, that sort of thing. When the report comes back, I'll post back.

Today we had a Pigsgiving with Henry and Sanford. 'Ferd managed to behave for about 10 whole minutes until she decided to terrorize. I've giving lots of extra love to the both of them.

While I don't ever plan on "replacing" PC, I hope to maybe adopt a few new friends right before Christmas. That way Henry (and maybe 'Ferd if we can find anyone she gets along with) will have a nice present, and I can give some other homeless pigges a presest - a new forever home.

It's just still very hard because it's still very new.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:13 pm

It does not ever get any easier, my friend. Love to yall from us. Its never easy, even when its the best option.

This is what is true. No love is ever wasted. Not ever.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:26 pm

I'm so sorry. You did absolutely everything you could for her. Please don't beat yourself up. Only a few rare, wonderful people like you would have done so much to save their pet's life. If PC had had a different owner, she probably wouldn't have made it as far as she did. Even though she had such a short time on earth, you gave her the best life that any pig could dream of. You loved her and did everything you could for her. It was just her time, even if it didn't seem like it was long enough. You are the best slave PC could have ever had, and this was not your fault.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:43 pm

Saving other little lives and giving them a wonderful home is the best way to honor PC.