Yipes! Poor Nina has a badly swollen foot!

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:52 pm

Not to mention, when the wound starts to heal, it will be harder and harder to get the regular syringe in there.

Lynx, can you check with the vet to see if she can locate a flushing syringe for you? If not, email me your address/P.O. and I will airmail you a flushing syringe. I have 2 brand new ones that haven't been used.

MelNH

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:15 pm

I use Nolvasan diluted at 1 to 2oz in 1 gallon of water and use it as a general cleanser in my cages as well as a scrub/flush for wounds... its very diluted but I have had good results with it that way. A gallon of concetrated nolvasan lasts me a while. Another plus to the nolvasan is that it has a rather pleasant odor but thats a whole other story =D

They also make a topical antiseptic cream which I prefer to triple antibiotic ointments like neosporin because they are so sticky.

Good luck with your little girl!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:48 pm

It was my idea to have her give me the needle tipped syringe because I thought it would close up and the 1cc medicine syringe I didn't think would do it (she used a needletip on to flush it when she was under anesthesia).

I called them back, she happened to answer the phone. They don't have them. I called another vet office that said they could sell me one so I'll try to get it tomorrow. I take it the curved tip is quite narrow? Narrower than the tip of a 1cc syringe?

I did not discuss blood pressure meds at this time, as it looks like it may have been an injury to one foot. If there are problems healing or the other foot swells, I need to do so. And next week the guy who sees more gps will be back.

Thanks for all your advice. I'll take notes and use your tips.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:58 pm

Quite a while ago, I sorta kinda remember hearing that cream pigs had a predisposition to pea eye. Is this the case or am I loosing my mind?

I'm asking because of the three pigs I hace with cream in them, one has mild pea eye and the two others have droopy eye lids that can't really be called pea eye just yet, but it looks like it's heading that way. And cara's Sherman has cream and pea eye, too.

Can someone confirm? Joséphine? Kleenmama? Anyone?

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:44 pm

You're losing your mind.

Peony is a crested self red. Zag was a brown(stuff it, E) abby. Nibel was a white sikie. Shiraz was a chocolate satin. All with Pea eye.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:10 pm

That's not what I meant, dammit! I know pigs from other colors get pea eye too. I just thought I heard that cream ones are especially susceptible to it.

melcvt00

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:21 pm

Doh. Too bad I don't have a curved tip syringe on hand to take a picture of. I could always mail you a few, Lynx. I have access to them 4-5 days a week. The ends are as small as a pen tip...though you can cut them back to make the opening larger if you want.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:55 pm

I hope to be able to get one tomorrow (as I posted). I'll take a pic of it and stick it in here. Maybe I should make a supplies page and have pics of what things look like.

Cara

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:12 pm

Pete had terrible pea eye, almost gross looking and he had a bit of cream in him though mostly red and brown with some black.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:14 pm

You can't have cream and red on the same pig. Most likely, it was lighter (faded) red.

Cara

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:25 pm

Ok, just looked like cream then.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:24 pm

Here you go, Lynx: