Should I worry? Lazy "rag doll" pig

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:31 am

like liquid in the lungs, rhythmical disturbances of the heartbeat and/or enlargement in the heart, are not present.
But this is why you had an ultrasound. These symptoms are the ones I see in my pigs, and they're visible on xray, but not all heart pigs have these issues.

poppypiggy

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:15 am

I am beginning to be aware that the symptoms present in a heart pig could be very subtle, but the vet expects to find at least some of the ones mentioned, and as long as Poppy don't show any of them, I don't think she will be convinced. At least not for now!

It's so frustrating not to have a vet that is experienced with guinea pigs! I have tried to call the only really cavy savvy vet I know of - she is 5 hours drive from here - but she is abroad until the beginning of January next year. Arrrg!

slfalzone

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:13 pm

poppypiggy - I am having the same issues as you - my vet will not be convinced of heart issues and won't let me try any meds. I'm at the point where I think I would try them even if I had to obtain them elsewhere (not sure that's even possible). Good luck - I feel your frustration!

poppypiggy

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:46 am

So it isn't only me! I hope you find a solution for your pig, slfazone!

I am close to tearing my hair at the moment! Went to the vet again today, and took x-rays. It was not so easy to get a good one, even though Poppy sat still most of the time. The trouble for the vet was to find the right x-ray "dose" - the pictures became very thin because the rays don't penetrate as well through a guinea pig as through a cat or dog. Because they are fatter, perhaps? Little eating machines!

The result was that we had to do it three times before we got a reasonably good thorax picture.

But than the side picture went fine - I managed to hold Poppy quite still on her side as the picture was taken. (I was covered up in lead all over, even the hands.) This way we didn't need to anaesthetize her at all; the vet wanted to be cautious if there was a heart issue.

It turns out that nothing conclusive can be seen on the x-rays, and the vet rules out heart issues. I am not sure she is right, but we agreed that I will monitor water intake very carefully for three days. If it is not higher than within normal limits I don't think I can convince the vet that something is wrong with Poppy.

But on the positive side is that she was very impressed with Guinea Lynx - I sent her the link to the physical norms-page. When we were waiting for the x-rays to develop, she also called the university bookstore and ordered some of the books that are used as references on the norms-page, so at least she is planning to learn more.

This is all I have for now- not much, but I will re-read all references and the heart pig-tread tonight, and than think this over again. As I said - I am about to tear my hair!

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:03 am

Wow, what a great vet! In the US the vets will never let you back in the x-ray room to hold your pet like that. Too much threat of lawsuit I suppose. You know how Americans are. There are many, many people who have offered to do it for exactly the same reasons you did. It reduces or eliminates the need for anesthesia and also keeps the pet calmer to have a familiar person around.

I know there must be some special techniques for restraining a pig for xray that some of the vet techs here can help you with. Maybe they use a foam cradle or something?

All I think there is to say now is to just keep watching and weighing her and treat her like the good pig she is. If you can't convince the vets of heart problems, I'm not sure what else you can do other than keep insisting.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:30 pm

poppypiggy, glad the norms page came in handy.

I was just going to say that there is a newer Carpenter book -- the third edition. I put up info from the second edition but see I referenced the third edition.

Don't know if anyone could check to see if the Carpenter's values noted are the same in the third edition but that would be most appreciated.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:37 pm

Sorry, the medical school library only has the 2nd edition. Does Josephine not have access to the 3rd?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:15 pm

I think Josephine has the third. It was only in remembering I used the second that sent me to the page to check out the references. It is quite likely they are the same. I could add a note and people can check for themselves (say it's from the second edition but there is a third edition).

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:38 am

I know I am lucky to have found this vet, rshevin! I don't know if she is allowed to let owners into the x-ray-room, but I will never complain that she did! When the owner is there the animal will feel much more secure, and everything will go smoother. Easier for the animal, the owner and the vet. And as long as security is taken care of I see no problem in being exposed to x-rays a few times - I suspect that sitting by my PC every day (as I do at work) is much more harmful!

Lynx - do you know if there are a norm or rule of thum of how large the x-ray "dose" required for a guinea pig is? My vet was surprised that the guidelines for dogs and cats did not fit at all.

I think the vet ordered the Carpenter et al., and the Quesenberry and Carpenter, and she discussed a bit back and forth with the bookstore person on what edition they had or could order, so I assume she will get the newest of both.

At least we afterwards agreed on that most older literature is inaccurate on guinea pigs, so she has gotten that point. She is eager to learn, it seems. And I will contribute to that by recommending her to other guinea pig owners, so hopefully she will have more patients to learn from, and with time be a really good piggi vet!

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:52 am

By the way - I just created a profile for my daughter - as Poppygirl. She has used mine at several occations, and that could perhaps lead to some confusion, so it's better she has a profile on her own. She loves Poppy as much as I do, so the profile name came all by it self!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:00 pm

poppypiggy, I'm pretty sure the Quesenberry and Carpenter book has some info about xrays in it -- and surgery and other things. I probably did not read them. It covers rabbits, ferrets, etc. but provides some really valuable info. I think she will be especially pleased with that one.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:16 pm

Awe man, you're making me want those books so badly. I'm such a medical nerd that they actually look interesting to me. Maybe when I get a real job and know I won't be schlepping them around with me.