Max Metacam dose for short-term use?

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:51 pm

I've looked around on the forums, but I still have questions about Metacam dosing. What's the max dose you guys have used for short-term use? I feel like the once a day dose wears off too quickly sometimes. In cases like that, is it best to just stick to that dose, or can the dose be split over 12 hours (if so, does that make it less effective)? Or can the pig even get a full dose twice daily?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:52 pm

I'm pretty sure others have mentioned giving 0.2mls twice a day for a day or two.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:10 pm

OK, that sounds like it's probably the standard dose (depending on the weight of the pig) at twice a day...

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:03 pm

For long-term use I give 0.15ccs once a day, so the dose I gave at twice a day is only for very short-term use.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:36 pm

According to our vet, cavies can have a maximum dose of 2.0 mL (yes, that's Two Point Zero) of Metacam per km of cavy weight. Apparently, cavies metabolise the stuff pretty fast.

Gilbert is currently on 1.3 mL per day because of his weight.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:38 pm

Wow... that's a massive dose of Metacam. What's the concentration on yours, TWP?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:42 pm

TwoWhitePiggies, your vet may actually be wrong. Someone on the board (I forget who) contacted the publisher of Carpenter's Exotic Animal Formulary about a high meloxicam dose for rabbits (I think). It was a typo, 10 times the recommended dose. Will likely be corrected next edition.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:44 pm

No way - that has to be absolutely WRONG, unless your meloxicam is a different strength to mine.

2.0ccs would constitute a massive overdose if you're using the regular Metacam (1.5mg/ml).

If you're giving Gilbert the dose you say you are at the concentration mine is, something is extremely wrong.

I do hope nobody else reads this and gets the dose wrong - Metacam can be very dangerous if overdosed.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:49 pm

Mum, your concentration is the same as mine. I'll e-mail my vet right away.

TWP_2

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:57 pm

FWIW, he has not shown any signs of any distress or obvious problems with that doesage.

JD

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:09 pm

My vet says they can get 0.5 mg/kg twice a day although that is way more than is recommended here. So I usuually give closer to the GL recommended amount. I am currently giving Hershey 0.15 cc twice day after her dental work on Wed. I will probably go to once a day tomorrow. She weighs around 900 grams.

TWP_2

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:55 pm

We're double checking, but we raised a serious alarm when the KSU vet first sent us home with a large dose. She checked, and verified the dose, explaining that GPs have a very high metabolism, and that the dose per kilogram of body mass was higher for GPs and other small animals than it was for dogs.

Although I'm not sure what resources she checked, she is a vet at a Doctoral Research I level university with the only veterenary medicine program in the region.