Need fast help with Bailey

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:43 pm

Will do all that, thanks! My old vet is about 6 hours away. The ironic thing, I was supposed to head over there today and tomorrow and canceled after Bailey had the surgery so I could be here for her. Now I wish I would have gone, but I'm not sure about the stress on her in the car for that long.
She ate everything this morning, but is really starting to fight me on taking the Bactrim. That is so weird, normally she loves it and hangs onto the syringe for more.

I can't believe in my first post I typed "smelt". Sheesh! I meant "smelled", not the small fish. CAn you tell I was in a hurry?

I really like Doxy for most things as well, in fact I think it works the best on most URI's.
I had to use Chlor once on a pig that had infectious arthritis, but that was years ago and it's gone.

lisam

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:52 pm

I don't have anything to add, but good luck to you both!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:54 pm

Poor Bailey! Good suggestions. I hope you can get advice from the eye vet for the best antibiotic and info on flushing.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:08 pm

KM, I hope you can get answers and solve this problem. Poor baby (and you too)

rshevin

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:14 pm

That sounds so dreadful. I can't imagine what she's going through. I have no advice to offer, just best wishes.

Piggster

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:36 pm

KM, nothing useful to add, but thinking of you and Bailey. I hope you and the vet can get this under control. Sending healing vibes Bailey's way.

purrie

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:01 pm

Wow, hoping the best for you and Bailey.

whittibo

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:02 pm

Thinking of you and Bailey, KM!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:11 pm

Geez, how terrible. My choice is ALWAYS 0.9% (isotonic) saline for flushing abscesses. That is safe and not damaging to tissues. If all the fluid doesn't come out, it is safely absorbed by the body (and excreted in the urine). It is the flushing action, not the ingredients that make the difference, anti-infection wise. Depending on what exactly the vet did, however, I would be somewhat concerned flushing that particular area with copious amounts of flush.

Chlor might be the way to go. I hope your appointment goes well!

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:52 pm

BEst wishes!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Good luck to you and Bailey, and keep us posted.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:10 pm

OK, so we are back. The vet cleaned off all the dried on matted pus and removed two of the stitches to gain access. She said most of the pus had already drained and there was very little left in the socket.
She also said it is granulating great, that about 80% of the wound is already filled in with granulated tissue. She said the tissue looks nice and not infected.
Her whole take on it was that we are nearly there, in another two days it will be healed up and there was no need to switch meds.
She did put in a blob of terramycin and told me to do it once per day till I can no longer access the hole.
I asked if we should switch to/add chlor, and she told me that she didn't feel there was any need.
This could have been a bit of remaining infection from before the surgery, and that she really thinks it looks good.
She didn't add a drain because she felt the eye will fully heal so quick that there will be no need to flush.
She told me I can flush it daily if I want, but that she thinks it will truly be fine and there will be nothing left to flush by Sunday.

Meanwhile, Bailey is eating everything in sight and acting fine. It doesn't seem to bother her in the least.