Need fast help with Bailey

luvmypigs2

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:23 pm

That's great and I'm glad Bailey's ok! It's always a good thing, when a pig is pigging out!

Can you keep her on Bactrim as a preventative measure? My vet is just the opposite about giving AB's to prevent infection. When my guys have a scratch on them she sends them home with AB's. She always wants to make sure something small doesn't turn into anything big.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:51 pm

She will remain on the Bactrim for 7 days, and the terramycin until the hole closes.
I've stopped with the Metacam, because truly, she doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. She wheeks when I come in the room, she is eating everything. She stands on the side of the C&C cage. I don't think she hurts at all.

klynne

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:39 pm

Whew, what a relief that you got such a good prognosis.

You sound pretty comfortable with what you were told, is that the case?

I have the same issues with my vets not knowing when they are stumped or when adding a consult to the mix might make for a better outcome. Sympathy for you on that.

Hope Bailey heals up well and fast.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:21 pm

Baily is one lucky girl. Hope she will heal fast. And I assume she can still see fine?

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:30 pm

I hope she heals up fast.

slfalzone

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:07 am

Oh my goodness - poor little piggy!

I hope that what the vet says turns into a reality and I am so glad Bailey seems to be doing well!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:16 am

That sounds promising. Continue to hope she heals up fine!

whittibo

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:22 am

Best wishes.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:53 am

Oh my goodness! Poor Bailey! I'm glad that the crisis seems to be over and that things are healing.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks all! Klynne, it's weird about this vet. She is very reassuring and confident. I guess in the end we will find out.
She is not cavalier, so that is good.
I told her I was a bit concerned about the sterile surgical procedures, and she had a really good point.

She said "You know, we use totally sterile procedures in the OR. But then we send a surgical patient home, who lives in a cage with poop and pee, and there is no way to "dress" a pig so that any surgical site stays clean. So infection is so much more common in these guys than even a cat or dog, that you can wrap and surgically dress."

She has a good point. With humans, you dress most sites, you can do a topical AB, and then we are told to leave it alone, not touch, and of course wash our hands before working with the surgical site.

I have yet to see a guinea pig wash her feets before wiping her newly operated eye! Those same little feets are walking around a cage with poop and pee, no matter how often you clean the cages.

It is matted this morning, but granulating. It doesn't smell nearly as bad this morning. I gave the Bactrim and the terramycin ointment, and she was wheeking at me the minute I put her down for veggies. She is munching away happily.

She still has normal vision in the one eye.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:03 pm

Glad she is doing better.

I was thinking about that recently, and wondered if the reason so many pig neuters get abscesses is because they are dragging their incisions through dirty cages. I was wondering if using glue might be better to try to seal the incisions more and prevent the cooties from being able to get in there.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on that, but this is semi-related so I thought I would put it here (sorry to hijack). I was wondering what Josephine thought about it.

Hope she continues to do well.

lisam

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:49 pm

wondered if the reason so many pig neuters get abscesses is because they are dragging their incisions through dirty cages

It probably does have a lot to do with it. What about the ones who abscess months after the neuter, though? I often wonder if it's the suture material and method that has something to do with it. I had a sow abcess along her incision site, and now Eddie abscessing in his neuter site--first one side, and now the other.