K.C. has a cloudy looking spot on his eye.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:20 pm

I don't have a picture unfortunatlly but the best way I can discribe it, is like when a cat starts to go blind or gets cancer in their eye. It's very small at the moment but we will keep an eye (no pun intended) on it. It's slightly grey and is in the center of his eye. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:24 pm

How old is K.C.?

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:28 pm

Oh sorry. K.C. Is a little over a year old, He is a american short haired self. He has had one URI since we've had him. He is currently being treated along with the other pigs for lice (Topical Ivermectin.)

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:31 pm

Does it look like this?

Shiloe is almost 2 and she is now blind in her one eye.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:47 pm

It could be an ulceration. You would need eye ointment. It is fairly easy to treat, but either way, it warrents a vet check.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:04 pm

Yes, I would definitely get a vet check. The vet will probably need to do an eye stain.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:43 am

Yes dgarriques, that's what it looks like only it is very small right now. I plan on getting an appointment today to get him checked out. I was worried that might be it. I will let you know what the vet says.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:24 am

I know with Shiloe it came on very fast.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:57 am

Sadie's been blind or nearly blind for most of her adult life. She has accomodated very well to her limited sight. She does ramps and can find the food dish, no problem. She is not as adventurous as the other pigs but she is happy being in her own little place.

I need to give her butt baths to remove the pee because she doesn't move from her spot very much, therefore her bottom gets yucky.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:48 am

Aww that's sad. I hope K.C. doesn't go completely blind if that is what it is. He was the very first Guinea pig we got almost a year ago. :-(

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:57 am

Mokuchan is blind as he can be and still does great.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:33 am

Is this the "Hooting" sound people talk about with heart pigs?

K.C. Hooting

You'll have to turn your speakers up it gets a little louder towards the end.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:05 am

Yes, that's it.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:10 am

Wonderful, Possibly blind and maybe a heart problem too. Sigh.. The joys of pig slavery.

Thanks Mum.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:16 am

It's not the big deal it seems to be - really!

If it's heart problems, they are usually not hard to manage.

Blindness really is common among older animals.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:27 am

When my girls have had scratched corneas their eyes appear to have a white spot in them. With treatment it goes away. I would see a vet ASAP or you most definately will have a pig that is blind. It may be treatable.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:28 am

I know I guess my concern is that we already don't give these guys enough attention. If we have a heart pig wouldn't it take a lot more attention then with a normal pig, to make sure he stays healthy? I would hate to lose him because of neglect. (One of the reasons we are trying to rehome some of our boys.)

Plus we are already struggling with bills and things. X-rays and check-ups will really be hard on us right now.

Don't get me wrong we will do everything we can for him, it's just bad timing I guess.

Maisiesmom
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:42 am

Sir GP has a grayish area in one eye, and the vet diagnosed a cataract. I think these can be either hereditary or the result of an injury. Apparently he will eventually lose sight in one or both eyes, but from what I understand, blind pigs usually do pretty well.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:05 pm

If we have a heart pig wouldn't it take a lot more attention then with a normal pig, to make sure he stays healthy?
Not really, except that with my heart pigs I give them medication twice a day.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:36 pm

WOW, I just listened to the "KC Hooting."

My little Maude makes that sound, I just thought she had sinus trouble.

Maude is by far the smallest of all my pigs and hides all the time. now, to think that she might be a "heart pig." Oh dear.

Thank you so much for the information.

27 posts