K.C. has a cloudy looking spot on his eye.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:05 am

Yes, that's it.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:10 am

Wonderful, Possibly blind and maybe a heart problem too. Sigh.. The joys of pig slavery.

Thanks Mum.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:16 am

It's not the big deal it seems to be - really!

If it's heart problems, they are usually not hard to manage.

Blindness really is common among older animals.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:27 am

When my girls have had scratched corneas their eyes appear to have a white spot in them. With treatment it goes away. I would see a vet ASAP or you most definately will have a pig that is blind. It may be treatable.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:28 am

I know I guess my concern is that we already don't give these guys enough attention. If we have a heart pig wouldn't it take a lot more attention then with a normal pig, to make sure he stays healthy? I would hate to lose him because of neglect. (One of the reasons we are trying to rehome some of our boys.)

Plus we are already struggling with bills and things. X-rays and check-ups will really be hard on us right now.

Don't get me wrong we will do everything we can for him, it's just bad timing I guess.

Maisiesmom
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:42 am

Sir GP has a grayish area in one eye, and the vet diagnosed a cataract. I think these can be either hereditary or the result of an injury. Apparently he will eventually lose sight in one or both eyes, but from what I understand, blind pigs usually do pretty well.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:05 pm

If we have a heart pig wouldn't it take a lot more attention then with a normal pig, to make sure he stays healthy?
Not really, except that with my heart pigs I give them medication twice a day.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:36 pm

WOW, I just listened to the "KC Hooting."

My little Maude makes that sound, I just thought she had sinus trouble.

Maude is by far the smallest of all my pigs and hides all the time. now, to think that she might be a "heart pig." Oh dear.

Thank you so much for the information.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:36 pm

If I'm not mistaken "hooting" is not a sure sign of heart problems right? But it is usually good bet?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:43 pm

No, it doesn't always mean heart problems.

But it should always be checked out, and an xray of the heart should be done at the very least.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:47 pm

Here are pictures of his eye we are heading to the vet right now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:07 pm

He will likely check to make sure it is not clouded because of an injury. If it is a cataract or similar condition, there is likely nothing one would do.