Our kids also known as Guinea Pigs

WonderfulPiggies

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:32 pm

Yea, they love their furry cage. It hasn't been so furry lately though. I have not had a chance to wash the liner so it's back to carefresh bedding till it gets washed.

At first my wife wasn't too crazy about the piggies, but they sucked her in. She gets them out for cuddles and stops by the cage to talk to them and check in on them about as much as I do.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:44 pm

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on your newest family members. What handsome piggies! I especially love the piggy lips!

WonderfulPiggies

Post   » Sun May 14, 2006 11:45 am

This is the story of the evolution of my cage. The cage originally started off as a single level 2x5 C&C with a 1x2 loft on each end that housed the original 4. This pic is before the lofts were added.

one of the lofts

After we bought and moved into our house we adopted 4 more piggies. 2 boars and 2 sows so the cage turned into a 3 story condo with the top level divided and prepared for 2 boars and 2 sows.
Construction

I used 1x4's for extra support for the top level so I could leave a wide open area to access the cage for cleaning and what not.
Before top floor division

After mite treatment and proper quarantine the two new boys and two new girls were put into their new homes.
New boars, Zedd and Buddy. Zedd is the all white one.
New sows, Sabrina and Lila. Sabrina is the PEW.

A week after the completion of their quarantine and introduction to their new home I began wondering if the two new boars would get along with the other 4 so in went another ramp from the second story loft to the third story.

Here is a full pic of the condo complete with cat, dog, and kid proofing.

A day of dominance issues and no injuries later things seem to have settled down pretty good. We are keeping a close eye on them for the nest few days to make sure, but I think this is going to be a succusses. I wonder what the largest amount of boars is that have been successfully kept together.

Well, I can't completly say no injuries later. Zedd was so excited to have a bigger space to run around in that he went zooming across the bridge that connects the 2 lofts and hit the corner of the coroplast and cut his cheek. Poor little guy. I think he'll heal up ok though. He is in quarantine right now with an Oops pad as bedding to keep things clean so he can heal up. We are monitoring his weight daily to make sure he is still eating and what not. So far so good. All coroplast corners are now rounded off.

WonderfulPiggies

Post   » Sun May 14, 2006 11:46 am

Hmmmm, looking back through the thread I realize that I have missed some things. I'll fill them in at a later time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 14, 2006 6:58 pm

Super duper fab cage great pigs!!!!

guineagal92

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:07 am

Man, that Sabrina is large. WAIT-so am I!

LER

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:39 pm

Just read through the thred! You did miss some things - you jumped from two piggies to 8 piggies I think! LOL Hope you update soon.

WonderfulPiggies

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:04 pm

So, how did we go from 2 to 8 you ask? (Actually it's 10 now) Well, we fell in love of corse!

A couple months after we got KC and Rodger we started looking into buying a house. Well, with a house would come more space. With more space, we could have a bigger cage! With a bigger cage, we could get a couple more piggies!!!! Yay!!!!!!! So I started looking at craigs list to see what was up there.

It was there that I saw an article from a gal that had 3 piggies, 2 boars and one sow. Well it turns out that she bought 2 guinea pigs from a pet store, and like so many others, they were missexed. Well, momma loved pappa, and um, pappa loved momma, and well, you can figure out the rest. She kept one of the pups and unfortunatly gave the rest back to the pet store.

So here it is, a year later and she doesn't have time for them anymore due to too much work. The sow is pregnant again for what ever time it was becuase she never seperated them and she put them on craigs list and advrtised the sow as pregnant saying "breeders may be interested". I didn't much like the looks of that, and as one of the boars was long haired like I had been looking for, I contacted her. By the time she replyed to my e mail, the sow had already been adopted, but the boars were still available, as well as their 2 by 5 C&C cage so enter Frisco and Nicky.

Frisco:

Nicky:

She said that the 2 boars had never gotten along and she thought it was becuase it was that they were father and son, but it was becuase she was trying to keep both boars and the sow all in the same cage. Grrrrrr. I really really didn't like the way this woman thought. She seemed really nice as a person, just very misguided in the care of her GP's.

After we got them home and set up the cage, they did just fine and still do to this day. It was becuase of the sow that they were constantly fighting.

Next- from 4 to 8

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:40 am

I plan on updating this thread before I leave next month just incase any one is still interested in how we went from 4 to 11 pigs. Husband is never on anymore except to look up health stuff.

But for now if you click on my profile website, there is a blog called my 10 kids also known as guinea pigs. That tells the story up until before we got Lucky and Egwene.
Including the loss of Sabrina.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:27 pm

*An add-on of events previously posted*

*Note I am WP's wife and since he doesn't want to update I am taking over for him*

After we picked up Nicky and Frisco from the lady, we set up the 2x5 that we had gotten with them. Then we put K.C., Rodger, Nicky, and Frisco down in the hall for intros. All went well, K.C. and Frisco seemed to be more interested in being the big guys then Rodger and Nicky. After a few hours without much more then butt sniffing, mounting and piggie trains we put them in the new cage.

Husband (as WP will now be referenced as) decided for the time being that we would keep them separated, but with only two grids to divide the cage so they could all see each other.

After two or three days of separation then floor time, back and forth, I mentioned to husband that since they got along on the floor we really didn't need to separate them in the cage plus it would give them more room to run. He agreed and we took the divider out and all was in harmony. K.C. and Frisco finally figured out who was going to be top pig (Frisco) and didn't have any problems after that.

Next - The move and new additions.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:27 pm

*Pictures of the intro's of the four boys*

The boys on the floor in the hall.

K.C. and Frisco trying to find a place to bite through the bars to get to each other.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:49 pm

*The move and new additions part one*

The beginning of March we finally moved into our house. I was 6 months pregnant at this time.

The pig cage was set up between the living room and the dining room so it could to divide the rooms. This is Alex and Husband putting in the temporary bedding. You can see the boxes in the background.

Only one problem, I was the only female in a group of guys (usually not a problem but its different when it's mostly animals). So we got a female dog named Sasha. I had also recently found out I was having another boy.

By the end of April we found Tonya's pet center.

*I am to blame for what is to come. But in my defense I have only seen 2 groups of baby pigs there and all other ones have been adults Not that, that is a good excuse.* :-) I know better now!

I went back to look at the guinea pigs and fell for a 1 yr old female with a 6 week old little girl and her five 6 week old boys (in separate cages of course).

The poor momma's claws were twisted and she had a bad callous on her right front paw. I felt really bad for her. I couldn't just let her just sit there and not get her the proper care. Of course she was going to need company so we took her baby girl and one baby boy with us (having the mind to neuter him and keep him with the girls).

Enter Sabrina, Lila and L.B
Sabrina
Lila
L.B. (Little Boy)

*Stay tuned for part 2*