Our kids also known as Guinea Pigs

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:41 pm

*Part 4* Aviendha and Shelby arrive and Miss Sabrina passes over the rainbow bridge.

A few weeks went by and one day I went to Tonya's to get some cavy cuisine and as always I went back to the "rodent section" to look at the guinea pigs. There were the two cutest adult girls I had seen ever!

With 6 at home I knew I shouldn't. But I just kept thinking, oh I would love just one more girl. I took one out of the cage, husband standing next to me; we both just loved her right away. However the other girl started wheeking as soon as the other was out of sight.

Oh great a bonded pair. I love bonded pairs but that would add TWO to our herd. So with puppy dogs eyes directed towards my husband we left Tonya's.

Out in the car we sat. Husband looked at me without starting the car and said "go get them you know you want to." Smiling with glee I said "are you sure?" He said "ya I guess" so back into the store I went to get my two new girls.

*Side note*
Sitting next to the girl’s cage was a boar. He looked really depressed and was covered in pee and cedar bedding. I was really sad to see that and hoped he found a good home.

/side note

Doing a full exam of the two girls, I check and found out that they were indeed girls and they were the healthiest looking guinea pigs I had seen in a long time. Nice beautiful coats, clear eyes, not a sign of mite trouble. I was trilled!

We went home and with in two days the girls were introduced to Lila and Sabrina.

Enter Aviendha and Shelby

Aviendha

Shelby

Aviendha once again came from Wheel of time. She is the protector of the main character Rand and is also in love with him.
As we were trying to think of a second girls name Alex piped up with Shelby like the Shelby mustang. (He was actually looking for his car.) But it sounded like a good name to us.

The girl got along pretty well. The only problem we had was that Lila was coming into her adolescence and would contently pick on Shelby. We also didn't even notice that Shelby has a slight head tilt. But it didn't seem to through her off any and the Vet said she was healthy other wise so we didn't worry.

That was May 18, 2006.

On June 7, 2006 I was doing my usually admiring of the girls cage. A feeling of horror came over me when I looked in this time. Sabrina was lying under the wood bridge looking VERY skinny and her eyes were sunken in. I reached in to pet her and instead of running like I was a hawk (as was normal) she didn't move.

I pulled her out and put her on the scale she had lossed almost a full pound since that weekend. I was so scared. The vet was just about to close and there are no cavy savvy emergency vets that I knew of or could find. So I called the vet and tried to make an appointment. No dice. The next available appointment wasn't until the 9th. So I opted to wait and take her in the next morning walk in.

She got seen after about a two hour wait. I had been giving her water with a syringe since I had found her. The vet said it probably had saved her life up to that point. It was found she had a bad infection in her nose and throat. After some anesthesia and suction they got out the puss and junk keeping her from eating and drinking. They proscribed antibiotics and Critical care for hand feeding giving a huge syringe for feeding.

I hadn't been on this site yet and it had never crossed my mind to research how to hand feed. I just wanted her to get better. L.B. was hard enough, but we had, had Sabrina a lot longer. She was my girl. She didn't even make it 2 hours after we got home. As I was feeding her I think I gave her too much at a time, she was still groggy from anesthesia and I think she suffocated. Taking three last breaths she passed on.

*Stay tuned for part 5* Lucky Comes home.

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:06 pm

*Part 5- Lucky comes home* June 9 months pregnant

About a week after Miss Sabrina past on, I went to Tonya's to pick up some more bedding and food. It wasn't the first time since Aviendha and Shelby cam home that I had gone back to the small animal section. This was about the 4th or 5th time I had seen this boar still in the same condition that I seen him almost a month earlier.

This time he was in a smaller cage under a bigger cage and the salesman was telling someone not to get him because he had something wrong with his rear end. This was the first time I had ever seen Tonya's treat there animals like this and I was appalled.

I walked out of the store. Sat in my car and called husband. I asked him if he remembered the boar that was next to the girl’s cage. He did. I told him about how he was housed and what the sales guy was telling people.

I was afraid he had mange mites or worse. Again I wrestled with the numbers, we had 6 boars already, and one more might stir things up. So instead of getting him right away I went home. I talked to the people on the myspace forums and to my husband. I think we even listed a question on here. All thumbs seemed to be up.

The next day I went back and got him.
Enter Lucky

You can kinda see the hair on his butt sticking out.

When I got home I looked him over. Matted hair and cedar bedding was the only thing wrong with him. No scabs no missing hair, nothing, clear eyes nose. You get it.

After a bath and a trim he was good as new. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the picture of him as a drowned rat and the towel picture.

We took to the vet and did mite treatment just incase and four weeks of quarantine it was time for intros. We figured it would be best to put him with Zedd and Buddy. They got along well so we figured all was well.

*Stay tuned for - The birth of Tommy and the evolution of the cages.*

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:12 pm

*Interlude*

Random Pictures.

K.C., Rodger and Frisco at the drive in.

The girls in their new hay loft

Aviendha and Shelby trying to share a carrot.

One pig or two? YigYang

Zedd Lounging

The only time K.C. and rodger would sit together.

sweetpea

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:30 pm

They are so cute!