Need fast help with Bailey

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:26 pm

Toby abscessed at his neuter site also, and she kept swearing it was just scar tissue. Yeah, till I started gently pushing and vanilla pudding was squirting out of the site!

I think most abscesses occur because pigs heal up so darn fast on the outside that anything INSIDE is trapped! BAiley's was not an abscess, it was open infection. Blech. She is still doing fine this afternoon. I can't believe how fast this thing is closing up. I have been gently putting pressure on it to see if there is anything in there, and so far so good. Of course, a million nasty germs could be under there just biding their time for an explosion.

crazycheryl

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:39 pm

Best wishes, KM and quick healing thoughts to Bailey.

lisam

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:06 pm

So originally they left an open empty socket? Or was it sutured shut, and the infection occured behind the sutures in the actual eye cavity?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:26 am

Sorry to post and run, been a couple of crazy weeks!

Lisam, they had sewedd it shut and left on stitch out by her tear duct so in case of infection, it would have some place to exit.
When I took her back in, they removed two more stitches on the opposite corner where I was getting most of the pus.

So update: It was two weeks on Tuesday since the surgery. The pus has never totally gone away. It also has never closed entirely. I would gently wipe off the gook, put on the terramycin ointment twice a day, and she has been on Bactrim since the surgery.
I took her back in on Tuesday this week because I am still seeing pus! We changed the meds to Baytril in case the Bactrim is just keeping the infection from getting worse but not totally killing it.

So, is this normal? My own hope was that there would NEVER be pus, but there was an infection of some kind prior to the surgery which caused her eyeball to rupture and the reason we had to have the eye removed in the first place.
Should it take this long to heal? Should I still be dealing with pus? I've never had an eye removed so I was seriously just hoping for a standard incision, no infection, and by now I was hoping we were done.

Bailey is doing great by the way and eats like a horse and has gained 4 ounces.

The vet keeps telling me there is no more pus in the eye socket, she again flushed it and said she got absolutely nothing, that the tiny little bit in the hole was it.
Today, it will no longer wipe away, is this perhaps granulated tissue? Oh, and she's lost all the hair around the eye.
Would a picture help??

rshevin

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:40 am

A picture wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't know squat about it but the others will.

I was thinking of you last weekend because we had a newly one eyed cat at the shelter that had been picked up by animal control. The IDIOTS at the vet didn't even sew the socket shut. The poor, poor cat. Then, the kennel tech who is stupider than a rock was putting the BNP in the WRONG EYE.

I don't know what to tell you about the pus other than to give the Baytril a try and stay on top of GI issues. Her eating and gaining weight can't be a bad thing. Could hairloss be from all the wiping and the BNP?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:15 pm

I would not be concerned with the hairloss alone so long as the skin looks okay. My long time not seen racoon with one bad eye showed up finally. It had been clouded over. Now it is kind of gone (sunken area where eye was).

I wish Bailey the best.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:13 pm

I think moisture and ointment would cause the hairloss. Snowflake had intermittent runny eye, and both the moisture and his meds made him lose his hair. It grew back. Poor Bailey!

CICSTEVE

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:32 pm

KM, We have had piggies with eye problems and the best stuff we used was gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic solution made by FALCON.
The worse case was Bright eyes. Her eye was filled with blood, and the size of a dimesticking out of her head. I felt so bad for her and the oitment that Claire told use to use so her eye wouldnt dry didnt really work. So what I did was 3 X a day, I put 1 drop in her eye and then the oitment to kind of keep the drops in.

4-5 days later her eye was back to normal. This is definately the best suff for eyes I have ever used.
We had a few that started to have a cloudy eye, and this stuff cleared it up fast.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:35 pm

So you used a watery drop and a creamy ointment combination? Is the gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic solution watery or is it an ointment?

CICSTEVE

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:39 pm

It is watery. Just use 1 drop. Bright eyes was so bad I decided to use both , the drops and the oitment . Theoiment basicall to keep the drops in and let it work better.

I told our vet what I did and she thought that was a great idea. Well, anyway it worked great.

I cant tell people enough of how well this has worked for us.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:39 pm

What was the ointment called?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:53 pm

Our vet has prescribed this same regimen: gentamycin drops followed with Terramycin ointment.

CICSTEVE, was your followup ointment Terramycin?