Need fast help with Bailey

CICSTEVE

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Yes, I think that was the name of it. I will check when I get home tonight and let you know for sure.

Have you had good luck with it also? I thinks its the best stuff we have used for the eyes.

I used it not just for a follow up but with the drops.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 pm

It works very well. You want to use it in the smallest useful quantity, though; it's oxytetracycline and you don't want them rubbing their eyes, then licking very much of it off their paws.

Our vets usually start us with Falcon/gentamicin. Then, if that doesn't do the trick, or if a little extra strength or durability is needed (the ointment stays put longer), they'll give us the Terramycin. We don't use it unless we really need it.

Our vets tell us to use the drops every 4-6 hours (or do the best we can). Let them soak in there if possible for a minute or two, then apply Terramycin to the affected area very sparingly. The Terramycin not only works on its own, but it should help seal a little of the gentamicin in the affected area as well.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:44 pm

In that case, sterile opthalmic ointment might be a useful intermediate step.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:45 pm

For rinsing?

rshevin

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:52 pm

No, to hold the drops in before resorting to the potentially hazardous AB ointment.

CICSTEVE

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:44 am

We have used Terramycin. But the other oitment was Neomycin and Polymyxin BSulfates ans bacitracin zinc ophthalmic oitment uspe sterile. made by Fougera.

Talishan, Doesn't this work well? I am amazed how well it worked for us. I thought for sure Bright Eyes would loose her eye. It was very bad. It was as KM has described.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:07 am

rshevin, I don't know why I missed theointment word. Guess I was thinking of sterile eye solutions (those sterile drops). I actually didn't know someone made a sterile ointment.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:16 am

Then you are very lucky! I have been prone to styes since a child and the usual treatment is a sterile opthalmic ointment that is basicly petroleum/mineral oil. I'm not positive, but I think this is the base used for BNP. If not, it's very similar.

This is what I usually buy.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:35 pm

CIC -- I would think the opthalmic BNP would work just as well, or better, than Terramycin. I think we have used it too, but can't remember exactly when or under what circumstances.

Rshevin, I'll ask my vet about the 'intermediate step'. That looks like it would help seal in the gentamicin drops without adding a potentially dangerous a/b (unless it was absolutely necessary for its own sake). I think it's a good idea.

dribble

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:12 pm

For those of you who had a pig's eye removed: Did it weep or have pus for weeks? I think KM's concern is that ANYTHING coming out of her eye after this long is bad even though the vet says all is well. If you have first-hand experience with an eye removal your thoughts would be much appreciated.

p.s. Bailey is a chubby, snuggly, gorgeous pig and it was great to see her again last weekend!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:14 pm

It depends on the surgery, I guess. I know if any of the conjunctiva is left, the eye may weep fluid for weeks and weeks (possibly causing seroma formation). If there is infection, that can be as difficult as your typical cavy abscess.

I am fortunate to have seen enucleation surgeries done in guinea pigs (that weren't mine)! Fortunately, they were done by an ophthalmologist and they healed without complications. My dog's enucleation surgery went similarly well. I'm sorry KM has to deal with this.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:54 am

KM, here's Missy's thread with pictures of her eye pre-op. Unfortunatly I never got post-op pictures. My Missy had her eye removed 2 years ago.

Missy never had any drainage or pus at all before or after her surgery. Everything was contained to the eye ball and nothing in the eye socket. My vet did treat her eye very aggresively from the begining both orally and topically. Also, Missy only had three stiches after her surgery. They we kind of spread out but I now assume that they were done like that in case anything needed to drain, which it never did.

After her surgery we continue her on Bactrim but I can't remember for how long, maybe a couple of weeks. Within a week of surgery she was back to her normal self.

Good luck with Bailey. I hope she starts to improve soon.