Snak Shack

Fluffy Cotton

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:23 pm

Is the Snak Shack that is sold at PetSmart safe for the guinea pigs? It looks like it would be a lot of fun for the piggies, and says that it is 100% edible, but the ingredients say that it is make with pine shavings.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:31 pm

Nope. It's garbage.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:39 pm

Ditto that. It has alfalfa in it, too, if I remember correctly.

Fluffy Cotton

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:32 pm

Man, that is what I thought. Too bad, it's awefully cute. But, I thought occational alfalfa was a good thing. Like the alfalfa cubes to help their teeth. Just not too much for a piggie over a year old. Am I wrong about this?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:34 pm

Hay cubes aren't that great. They don't work their jaws like regular hay. My pigs ignore them and Petstupid stinks.

That thing is an expensive toy. Just get them some KM timothy hay and they will love it more.

Fluffy Cotton

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 pm

Oh, they definitely have a continuous supply of timothy hay, I just do the alpfalfa cubes as a treat, and they love them. They run up and snatch them out of my hands, but if they are not good for the piggies then I will stop giving it to them.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:17 am

They're fine as a treat I suppose, but some pigs are more prone to bladder sludge and stones, so you have to be careful.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:19 am

You can ask all your questions in one thread - it makes it easier for us to keep track of things!

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:16 am

The snak shacks also contain honey if I remember correctly. I was thinking about getting them too a few months ago. I didn't see the pine shvaings but I think I remember honey being an ingrediant.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:26 am

Interestingly, a couple of companies I have spoken with (KV Vet is one; can't remember the other) stated they have contacted the manufacturer of that product about coming out with a timothy-based shack, but to no avail so far.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:48 am

Meh, even if it were timothy I wouldn't buy it. It's SO processed and while I'm not positive about seeing honey, there were definitely LOADS of sweeteners in there. And all that food coloring? If it doesn't make them sick, it'll make a mess at the very least. My pigs get so excited over a carrot for a treat, I no longer even consider store bought ones.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:48 pm

True. The only commercial treat mine ever get are Critter Berries from Oxbow, and they're so darn expensive that I don't buy them very often. They do go crazy over them, though.