Snak Shack

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:06 pm

I found out the techs at my vet feed CritterBerries when the animals board. That definitely explains why Piggy always gains weight!

Fluffy Cotton

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:18 pm

The other thing that I saw that looked cute was a baseball looking toy made out of vegetable something or another, that is supposed to be edible. But, when I looked it was tied together with thread. I wouldn't think that would be save!

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:27 pm

If you aren't sure if it's safe, it probably isn't. The best toy for your pig is another pig.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:37 pm

Right. And safe stuff like a small paper lunch bag filled with hay; empty toilet paper rolls; small, clean cardboard boxes (no glue, tape, staples, ink, etc.). Our guys can entertain themselves for hours with something simple like that.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:48 pm

Yup. That's all I use sef. I gave up on store bought toys about a year ago. They're expensive, unsafe, and ignored.

Fluffy Cotton

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:59 pm

I know you guys are right, but I just look at a bag and think, how can a bag be fun, this cute toy looks so much better, but I know I am thinking from a human perspective not a piggy one.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:13 pm

Have you ever given them a bag? Try it tonight. I swear you won't be disapointed.

Fluffy Cotton

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:45 pm

Actually, I have tried a bag before, and they seemed somewhat scared of it. Maybe it was the noise it made. They did love it though when I cut a hole in a medium sized box and filled it with shreaded paper. All you could hear were happy noises and scurrying feet! I think I will try the bag again, maybe they will like it this time.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:26 am

Stuff some hay in the bag and maybe push the bottom through so it's a tunnel. Two openings means there's a escape route if you ask any of the pigs here.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:33 am

My pigs' favorite toy is definitely a small, paper lunch bag filled with hay. They play with that thing for hours. It is pretty comical to watch them stick their whole body in the bag and munch away.

Fluffy Cotton

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:25 pm

Ok, I just ordered my first shipment of hay from Kleenmama. Anyone have ideas of how to store it inside the house so that it won't get moldy, and it won't spill all over the place? Is storing the hay in a tote with the lid off okay to do, or will the hay on the bottom just get moldy?

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:35 pm

You can leave it in the box. *When you get the box, open the top, push the bag its in around to the sides, then shut the top and tape it shut. Turn box over, open up and pull take bag out, leaving hay in box.

*this wisdom gleaned from someone here, I do not remember who but am thankful!!*