theory on chirping

Fay

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:12 am

Maybe it's ;some sort of winter depression? When Battlestar was chirping it was cold and dark and you could hear the wind howl outside and the heater cracking you know a typical chilly spooky winter night. So maybe they can sence that?

rokupic

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:06 am

I sat down yesterday with my coffee and Sunday newspaper. It was quiet in the house and I suddenly heard a bird in the house (sound familiar?). It was Chick, my 5-month old abby. She shares a condo with another abby; I adopted them this summer. I have a trio of pigs in another condo in the same room. It was 11am. All of the other pigs were in their pigloos and didn't seem to be listening. It was a wild sound and I'm so glad I heard it. I hope my husband has the opportunity to hear this sound.

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:13 pm

My baby Gambit chirps when I hold him. He gets all comfy and snuggled in and chirps and sleeps on me. I figured it was like a cat purring.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:18 pm

This chirping thing is so odd. Polly stopped chirping altogether after Isaac died and I thought she would never do it again, but the other morning (3:30AM), I heard her chirping.

She has only done it twice while she has been with her new mate, Freddie. She used to do it all times of day and night, it didn't seem to matter. The other pigs get very quiet when she does it and seem to be listening. I wonder if they do this in the wild for some sort of survival reason.

I think a lot of pigs do it, but you almost have to have them in your bedroom to catch it, since it seems to happen in the early hours of the morning. Also, the other pigs don't seem to copy it, at least moine haven't. Does anyone have pigs that learned it from others?

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:20 am

Pepper continues to chirp, pretty much on a weekly basis I hear her,gradually over the past two years, more often starts when I'm in the room. What I've noticed is about late Sept. early Oct the occassions increase two fold or more. Somewhere about April they dissapate to 1 or 2 times a week again.

Time of day hasn't seemed to matter much either, it's been early evening 5ish, any hour in the am up til 10am, and few times in the afternoon I've been awake to hear.

Right after son returned this year, Amber started chriping on a nightly routine for 8 days, she took after Pepper's lead and does it when I'm in the room to. Amber is my son's pig, she and Skimper use to live with the boys and their dad couple years ago.

I'm still trying to nag at the boyfriend here to get the old video off the camera from last winter, we were talking and moving around in the kitchen when Pepper was chirping.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:42 am

COTTON!!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:59 am

No Cotton chirps yet BL, she still likes to lick though :)

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:10 am

I just hadnt hollered for her in a while! I was lonely for her.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:51 am

The other night, around dinner time, Mr called me downstairs saying, "One of the pigs is chirping like a bird." It was very loud, but as soon as I opened the door, it stopped. I don't know who it was. I don't remember Steve or Jules chirping, but Mr. RS insists one of them did. Maybe Steve.

I have seen Neal chirping, so I wonder if it was him. The four of them haven't been in the same pen long, so I also wonder if it was stress.

TCsHuman

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:48 pm

I didn't read through all of the posts but the lady at the WHS who has two boys living together said hers chirp when they are fighting or just finished fighting she thinks it is a stress related call.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:57 pm

I think what you are talking about is "chattering" not chirping.
Chirping is like a bird call, like this.
*fast forward a minute, then she gets really loud.

TCsHuman

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:05 pm

No, the lady at the WHS said, and I quote: "It sounds just like a bird." She definitely used the word "chirp". She knows the difference between teeth chattering and a "chirp". She said hers only do it after they had a fight.