Henry's Thread

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:21 pm

Probably thanks to the stress of losing two cagemates, Henry has been having a rough time of it. I noticed:

- He was occassionally sneezing Wednesday. This is a big deal, as he never really sneezed before (other than one huff-like sneeze after grooming). I noticed him sneeze four or five times over the course of a few hours.

- He was producing a white powdery urine, which he never used to do before.

- He wasn't sprawled out on his side when he slept.

I took him up to K-State yesterday. His lungs and bladder are totally clear. His urine is good and dilute, which means he's drinking plenty. They found some bacteria in his urine, so they gave me some TMS to treat him with for a UTI. Dr. Swenson said that it should also take care of anything that might be going on with the respiratory system.

I noticed he didn't sneeze once the entire time we traveled to and from K-State. He did sneeze a couple of times at home. His nose was a tad wet with one of the sneezes, but it didn't look like yucky snot, just a little wet. Other than that, he's already 10x happier looking then he was yesterday before going to the vet.

Is there any reason to worry about the slighty wet nose with that one sneeze?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:30 pm

Poor Henry, I hope not. I think the antibiotics will work even if he has a concurrent URI.

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:31 pm

Hi! I have been wondering about little Henry.

It sounds like you did the right thing getting him to the vet. With all his stressors lately, it is good to err on the side of caution.

I think if the wetness on the nose is clear, I would just keep a very close eye on it while continuing the meds. Did you bring anything new into the house on Wednesday? (I am thinking holiday greens). If so, maybe the sneezing is from some sensitivity rather than something infectious. Just a shot in the dark, but a thought...

Henry, we are all rooting for you!

luvmypigs2

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:38 pm

The bactrim should take care of everything. Poor baby.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:48 pm

Henry, you must NOT get sick!

I hope he's ok.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:07 pm

Thanks for some reassurance. As I said, he's tons better today, even after the indignity of going to the vet and getting x-rays.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:24 pm

Henry, listen to Mum. Feel better soon.

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:57 pm

Merry Christmas Henry. Stay well or else Santa won't bring you anything this year.

Glad to hear his spirits are up.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:58 pm

Waves Hi to Henry. Feel better sweetie. I am wondering if he is stressed at losing his friends? But then it is only my guess.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:02 pm

Henry, Ozzy would like to be your pal. I know we are not close but he would love to snuggle with you and make you feel better about losing your buddies. He is a very friendly boy. Please feel better and do not stress your mommy and daddy slave anymore.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:10 pm

Zachary went through a bout of wet sneezes (with no discharge or eye crusties) before I switched to towels and fleece. Our regular vet kept saying "allergies," but I was very skeptical. They were all bedded on CareFresh at the time; prior to that, I used pine (ugh) which made my own allergies go into overdrive. I had a hard time believing that Zach could be having problems with the Carefresh, but I switched to towels/fleece just to see -- and also because the Carefresh was getting so costly with the addition of two new pigs at the time. The wet sneezing stopped.

Unless there are any other symptoms with the sneezing, I really wouldn't worry too much. The course of Bactrim should take out anything that might be going on with either UTI or URI, and it's so generally well tolerated that it shouldn't interfere with appetite.

Big hugs to Henry!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:15 pm

Ditto Sef and everyone else.

I would suspect that all of the recent stresses in his life (and yours) put him a little at the edge of his resistance. Not sick, just precious close, and vulnerable, to it. I think the Bactrim is a good preventive measure.

Sef, the regular (grey) Carefresh is extraordinarily dusty. Worse than kiln-dried pine or aspen. When we used it our entire big pig room was covered in a thin coating of grey dust. We don't use it at all any more.