Slight white discharge from nose

kellysed

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:45 am

I took my pig to the vet on 12/18. She had a white/clear discharge in and around her nostril. The vet noted some congestion in lungs and saw the discharge. Other than being a little quiet, she seemed fine. She never lost her appetite. She was put on SMZ med for 7 days. We successfully finished the 7 day medicine. BUT the g.pig still has the same whitish discharge - noticeable more in the evening. During the day it will seem as if she is getting better, but at least once during the day I will notice the discharge is back. What could this mean? Again her appetite is very good, she remains a chubby guinea pig. After the SMZ she did seem to perk up a bit and even squeaked for food the other day. Otherwise she will purr and chirp only when being held or pet. My vet is not back until after Jan.1st. Should I wait, or take her to see the other vet? Any other advice?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:56 am

If you saw any improvement while she was on the bactrim, then it's likely that the dose was a) not big enough, or b) not long enough. I always dose for at least 10 days.

Was it the standard pediatric suspension? Do you know exactly what dose you were giving? How much does your pigs weigh?

If she still has these symptoms, then she needs to continue on with the antibiotic. Don't wait - untreated URIs can kill very quickly.

Perhaps the vet's office can extend the prescription without you going back?

kellysed

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:09 am

My pig weighs 2.5lbs. She was on a .35ml twice a day for 7 days. There was actually some left in the bottle so I gave her .35 just once a day on the 3 days following. The next day after that she squeaked for food (the veggies). That was yesterday, she seemed much better. Today the discharge was back. I will call in the morning and ask about continuing. I hate to have her be put on something stronger that may cause diarreha. I mentioned to vet that I heard penicillin was bad, and this vet said - no actually they can tolerate it. It is rabbits that don't do well on penicillin. I hope with the holiday coming up I can get in tomorrow - or that they are open.

slfalzone

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:09 am

Welcome to Guinea Lynx - you will discover that this place is totally awesome!

Do you have SMZ left?

In the absence of the experts as it's so late here - I would advise to continue with the SMZ until you hear otherwise.

It would be very helpful when the more experienced members check this thread if you post the following information:

Weight of piggy - (what's her name?)

Dosage of SMZ she has recieved i.e: How many cc's per dose and how many doses per day. Also what the suspension of the SMZ is - it should show on the bottle.

It could be that your piggy hasn't had a high enough dose (Vet's apparently notoriously underdose.) OR it could be that the 7 day course wasn't enough OR it's not the right antibiotic for the job.

I have been caring for a little boy piggy for over a year now with URI problems. It is a condition that needs quick and effective treatment. Piggies lungs are tiny and if infection goes untreated, pneumonia can occur.

Do you weigh your piggy daily? Has her weight fluctuated at all since the meds?

Daily weighing is essential. Weight will give you MAJOR clues as to the real health of your GP because they are prey animals and will hide illness.

You can give your GP unflavored pedialyte to restore electrolytes if appetite is affected.

Give lots of Vitamin C - BUT not the stuff you put in water - Red pepper, small amount of parsley, kale, green pepper.

PLEASE click on all the links from the home page below - there is a wealth of information that will help you with the health of your pig npw and as you move forward.

http://www.guinealynx.com/index.html

slfalzone

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:10 am

Oh crap - I always take too long to type.

Sorry Mum!

kellysed, Mum is a superstar and helped save my guinea pig. I didn't know you'd be up so late though Mum!

slfalzone

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:12 am

kellysed - absolutely no pencillin. Your vet is wrong.

It is on the dangerous medications list:

http://www.guinealynx.com/index.html

If I were you I would print the list and take it with me on the next visit to make sure you're not given and pay for something harmful.

I'm signing off for the night, but I wish you and your piggy a good night!

kellysed

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:23 am

Hermione is or will be 4yrs old in January. She was extremely small when we bought her. I assume she could not have been more than one month old. I have her separated from her "sister" Ginny the guinea. I purchased Ginny a month after Hermione. She also was very tiny and dehydrated when we bought her. A few weeks ago, Ginny seemed to be coughing, but it was Hermione that ended up with a drippy nose. Neither are coughing now. The only other experience I had with this vet was a year ago when Ginny had a lump/tumor removed from her side. She recovered well. Both pigs eat pellets and hay purchased from Oxbow. I give them mini carrots in AM and greens (pepper/parsely/broccoli/leaf lettuce) in PM. Hermione is fat, Ginny actually seems thinner now that she is older. I have been reading about the URIs and that is why I am concerned that there is still discharge. I feel like I can't stop worrying about her. I want her to be well. She is a great pig with such a cute sassy personality. The vet dosed her at .35 twice a day for 7 days of SMZ-TMP liquid (1/2oz)#1 unit is all it says.

kellysed

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:29 am

I did print the list of bad meds but forgot to take it in that day. She gave me the Bactrim or SMZ which I immediatetly checked your list before I gave it to her. I will take in the list the next time I go. I read the same thing on many different sites so I will refuse Penicillin.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:25 am

Yes, absolutely, positively no penicillin!!

kellysed, if you got the standard pediatric solution, you did not give enough bactrim. Should have been twice that.

Could be underdosing means it was not knocked out.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:04 pm

I mentioned to vet that I heard penicillin was bad, and this vet said - no actually they can tolerate it. It is rabbits that don't do well on penicillin.
Holy Crap!!! This (as well as the underdosing) is a big sign that you do not have a cavy savvy vet, and maybe you should consider finding one. At least be very careful with any info this one gives you. You can double check things here.

Welcome to Guinea Lynx!!! I hope your piggy gets better soon.

kellysed

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:17 pm

I tracked down the original vet on vacation - or the office did. She does not want to just prescribe more of anything without a recheck. I have two appointments scheduled for Tuesday (no one had openings today). One appointment is with original vet - I made it after they called me back. After researching more on the internet I found a recommended vet that ends up being a little closer to my home. I will probably cancel with the first vet even though I think that she is decent, but maybe less experienced. I will go to Dr. Gary Riggs, his office is Akron area. I am watching my Hermione closely. The new vet has an emergency vet clinic if I need to go before Tuesday.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:52 pm

Kelly, who was the other vet you were using? I'm from the Akron area and may know the vet you were using. Any vet willling to prescribe "cillin" based medicine is not very cavy savy. Trust me, I learned the hard way by having one of my guinea pigs killed by using amoxicillin before I knew better.

Dr. Riggs is the best exotic vet in the state of Ohio. He's the head of the Akron Zoo and all the animals there. The other side to Dr. Rigg's is that he's VERY expensive. Just so you know, Metro emergency hospital is even more expensive then Dr. Rigg's office but it is the only emergency hospital in the area that treats guinea pigs. Hopefully you won't need to use the emergency hospital.

Another good vet in the area is Dr. Faust & Dr. Nathan. They used to be partners with Dr. Rigg's until he and Dr. Nathan bought their own clinic. Their prices are very reasonable compaired to Dr. Rigg's. They're both great vet's and have great bedside manners. Plus, they will listen to your input on things that you've learned here, both know about this site. Dr. Rigg's knows everything and doesn't trust everything you read on the internet. Here's their contact information:

Dr. Faust & Dr. Nathan
2131 Sharon Copley Rd
Medina, OH 44256
330-239-1115

They are all great vet's and I have used all of them from one time to another.

If you have any other questions about the vet's feel free to email me threw the mailer and I'll email you my phone number.