Henry's Thread

Becky

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:09 pm

After Chippy died, both my girls would run and scream every time I came near them. When I picked them up, they would shiver and shake. Buttercup actually developed a UTI because she wouldn't come out from her corner and sat way too long in the hay or her fleece. They really went through pretty major depression. Chippy was always the heart of the herd.

We treated her with TMS and she's finally starting to be more active and not running away from me. She's also staying dry again.

I really do think in their little piggy brains, they sometimes associate us with the demise of the herd. Everytime a pig gets sick, we take them out, hand-feed them, take them away to the vets. When the final outcome is their friends don't pull through, I suspect they come to associate us with that outcome. This, in my theory, adds to their stress level.

They always get over it; it just takes time.

Good thoughts heading to Henry.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:31 am

I think Henry has an intolerance to TMS. He is usually a champion drinker and pooper. For the past two days, his poops have been getting smaller and have had little stems on them. This morning, he produced a weird poop that was gooey and gross, and he hasn't made much poop since. He's also all but stopped drinking out of the bottle. We thought a lot of this had to do with the excitement of getting new pigs, but now I'm worried.

He ate Critical Care on his own last night and this morning. He ate his extra wet veggies, no problem. He's munching on hay. He's just not drinking much.

He finished eight days worth of TMS. I am going to not give him any more and call the vet first thing in the morning. I'll also start hand feeding if I don't see any signs of returning normalcy.

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:47 am

He just ate about 3/4 of a 'stick' of endive, and I hear bowel sounds, but no poops.

Could over-stimulation (excitement) cause symptoms like this? I hate to separate him when it is so important for them to get to know each other, but it could be done.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:21 am

Has he been getting probiotics while he was on the TMS? I've never had a pig react to TMS. He may need a motility drug. Maybe try some floortime with a pile of hay. Sometimes just getting my guys moving with the fiber from the hay works for my guys.

Everything sounds like its happened around the timing of his new friends. He's had a lot of changes lately. I wouldn't separate them if they're together. Do you still have the cage divided? How did floor time go last night? Maybe the anticipation of wanting to be with his friends is stressing him out? Some stress is to be expected with the addition of new friends.

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:14 am

The thing is, he's still eating hay. Haven't necessarily seen him go after pellets, but the hay is still popular. And he eats food, and vitamin C tablets, and Critter Berries.

The cage is still divided, but since Henry and Frost were getting along so well, we gave them both unrestricted space upstairs (together), while Tom and Widget get the divided downstairs.

He just seems really jittery. If he were human I'd wonder if he had taken up meth. I held him for a half hour or so tonight, and he took fifteen minutes to calm down enough to just lay down and relax quietly. The good news is that then once he went back into the cage, he peed, and it was normal pee (slight white center, but no grit/sludge).

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:16 am

Oh yeah, and I did some "firm stroke" petting that is designed to massage his belly a little bit while petting him. He's not tender, he didn't complain, and there were clearly active bowel sounds while I was petting him.

Perhaps his gut transit time is just really high.

Jim

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:52 am

Is he on Benebac or a probiotic? I would probably call the vet and get her opinion. And ask her about a possible motility drug just to be on the safe side, because its the holiday weekend.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:06 pm

The advantage of putting him in the top level with Frost is that it's easy to tell whose poops are whose. Henry is back to making poop. Yes, he has been on Benebac this entire time. I will call the vet today, though. He did get a full nine days of antibiotics, but I just don't think continuing it is a good idea.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:22 pm

It sounds as if you're on the right track.

I would think it could take him a while to settle down from such big changes.

I'm glad he has a friend to keep him company, though.

klynne

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:16 pm

Ditto, sounds like it's all under control, and things will settle soon.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:28 pm

I ran some errands and came back to find Henry eating hay and pooping up a storm. I'll feel much better once I actually see him drinking, but he's leaps and bounds ahead of where he was this time yesterday.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:33 pm

We have had three who had a little trouble with Bactrim. Two were older (5+) at the time. The third (+-1 year) is okay with a little probiotic. The rest of them don't bat an eye on Bactrim. But we learned it can cause some problems for an older and/or sensitive pig.

I think you did the right thing. Glad to hear he's doing better.