Eye loss, mammary tumor and widowed

Wheekers3

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:54 am

I will never put my pigs in the front seat again, thanks to you. I always have before, but have since learned better.

Do you weigh Cullen? That will give you a good idea of how he is adjusting to his Metacam withdrawal and life in general. Most of us weigh our pigs at least weekly - more if we suspect something isn't right.

Glad you were all okay after all you've been through.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm glad Cullen is doing better. He's so lucky to have a caring person as yourself to tend to him.

I always drive with my pigs in the front seat, if only to talk and pet them during the trip. Now, I will securely fasten them in the backseat.

I think I might try the 1/2 dose thing with the metacam too. Fuzzy does better in the mornings but by evening is just blah-that's the only way I can describe it. Maybe by splitting the dose she'll be more balanced.

Thanks for the tips!

Mocu

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:03 pm

The passenger side airbag broke the walls of the travel carrier. It looked at first as if Cullen was so low in the seat he didn't receive injury, which was not the case. The passenger side airbag is much larger than the driver-side bag because there is no steering wheel on the passenger's side. You can see the diagrams by running a google search on airbags. They are designed to detonate even at very low speeds of impact.

The collision was completely out of the blue, a freak happening. The country road was seemingly empty, I had the right of way and then ... the absolute "unpredictable" just swallowed us.

Just because it never happened before doesn't mean it won't happen.

It is exactly the desire to express our affection by sharing the front seat that puts the piggies at risk. Illogical, really: Putting them at risk to journey them to the vet so they are not at risk? We expose them to instant death, or serious harm, while attempting to keep them safe?

So much unnecessary stress and suffering can be so easily prevented.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:41 pm

Well, and I guess that's why kids are safer in the backseat too-because of the airbag dangers. Small beings, pets included, are safer buckled in back.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:33 pm

Yes, center back seat for kids and pigs!

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Yes, the airbag deployment is a controlled explosion that provides an opposite force and cushion that counters the body's momentum forward when everything stops in an accident. In addition to the forces, it is also possible to get some abrasions and burns from the airbag. The idea being that it is additional safety to augment the seat belt. An airbag by itself is not designed to protect you that well.

Most accidents occur when people are within 5 miles of their homes and it can and does happen anywhere at anytime. The newer airbags are smart - if they sense any weight in the seat without the seatbelt attached, then the bag will not go off. As soon as you engage the seatbelt, I believe the bag will go off in a not-low-speed collision. I think the car manufacturers tell you not to put a child in the seat under 80 pounds and under a fairly decent height. Since a piggie in a carrier would fit that criteria, the piggie definitely belongs in the back seat, carrier strapped into the seatbelt. The piggie might be subjected to forces in a collision but it would be nothing like the forces in an untethered cage.

I was in a serious car accident with my family when I was 14...my Dad's golf clubs were in the back of the station wagon when we lost control and hit a tree at high speed. Those clubs flew right over our heads and out the front windshield - landing quite a distance in front of the car. Gives you a whole new perspective on the physics of momentum!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:23 pm

Good luck to you and Cullen. I hope everything works out.

amy m guinea

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Your story brings tears to my eyes and I wish you and Cullen all the best.

You have saved many pig's lives by your post! I've always strapped my guys into the front seat in the carrier, but never again.

Thank you.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:03 pm

Did Cullen have an X-ray when he was checked up?

I hope he continues to recover and adjust. His (and your) story is very moving.