My guinea pigs don't like us!

mayo377

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:02 pm

I got my first guinea pig about two years ago, and she was always very shy and scared of me and my husband but we had the mentality that if we showed her a lot of love, she would eventually come around. Although she was only a couple months old when we got her, I think she must have had some bad experiences with people because she has never came around like we thought. Since then I have gotten 3 more guinea pigs, all very cautious and weary of people. We had them in our room for the first year or so of their lives, and then moved them to the living room when the allergies from the hay got bad. But either way, they were in places where we were constantly around, so they've had plenty of time to get used to us.

In the beginning I handled them every day but stopped when I didn't see a change and because they seem to hate it so much. All they do is try to get back to their cage. I'm wondering how other guinea pigs act with people and does anyone have any ideas of what we did wrong? I have 4 guinea pigs by the way, all females, around 2 years old.

Olwen

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:13 pm

I have 2 two pigs that are bit like that. Leo is about 2.5 yrs old and I have had hime since he was a baby. He has always been very weary of humans. Lately he has actually let me pet him though which makes me very happy.

I find that if you hold them often, speak gently, keep other noises to a min and always have a treat handy they can come around. Sometimes they don't, but even if they don't like being held, I am sure they appreciate you in their own way

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:16 pm

I think these piggies are prey animals by nature, so they are all a bit on the shy and cautious side to start with.
And just like people, they each have their little personalities.

Out of our 4 pigs, Meimei is the master of the household; she needs to investigate every person/thing/objects in the house. She will come come up to you voluntarily for anything from food to attention.

Beibei is exactly the opposite, she is the happiest when you just uh.. leave her alone.

Mojo used to be a shy little boy too, but he is slowly coming out of his shell and starting to enjoy more and more of the attention and cuddle time. He is one who enjoys floor-time the most. : )

McMac is our signature lap pig, he will sit and sleep with you contentedly for some time, and starts to scratch or fuss when he needs to go back to the cage to pee.

JodiMN

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:18 pm

I've had Jeffy since he was 7 weeks old and he still runs when I get near their pen.

It sounds to me like they are not socialized with you. Very young pigs are very squirmy and it seems like they are trying to get home.

I also would recommend daily handling with treats. And time.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:22 pm

I'm not sure what to tell you other than lots and lots of time and patience. Usually a pig will very much dislike being picked up but will calm down considerably when placed on your lap in a quiet environment. Each pig has a different spot where they like to be scratched or petted but many like behind the ears and underneath the chin. Very few like being touched on their rump. When you feed them their daily veggies, always try and get them to take it from your hand. That will help them associated The Hand with something favorable. It's a long and slow but very rewarding process.

mayo377

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:35 pm

Maybe my guinea pigs are not as anti-social with people as I thought. I just thought guinea pigs were more friendly than this.

My pigs love being petted on their chin and ears. They'll lift their chins when I'm petting them, it's so cute! And they easily take food out of my hand, and even come up to me when I'm sitting by their cage but I think that's only because they can trust I wont try to pick them up since I usually don't unless I have to due to the fact that when they're on my lap, they shake slightly like they're cold (I'm positive they're not cold though) and just keep trying to get back in their cage. Even if I take them into another room and sit with them on the floor, they'll start walking in the direction of their cage and stand by it since they can't get in by themselves. And they'll let me pick them up when they want back in their cage.

It breaks my heart to pick them up and sit with them on my lap simply because they seem to hate it so much and be so unhappy by it. I'd rather they be happy and content in their cage than sad and scared on my lap. I thought they'd get over it but after like 6 months of trying, I just gave up cause I hated seeing them unhappy like that. I guess I'll go back to trying though. I do feed them from my hand almost every day though during floor time.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:46 pm

It sounds like you're doing the right things so please, don't get discouraged. It's hard sometimes. I've also found that sometimes a scared pig will be more comfortable in my lap if I bring a small flannel receiving blanket to cover them loosely with. They don't seem to feel as exposed. The fact that they lift their head for chinnies is encouraging. Your floor time idea is excellent. You could try closing the door, so they can't get back to their cage, and then putting some tastey veggies scattered about. I also have a "home base" on my floor where the pigs can run back to if they get scared. It's just a small, open C&C pen with a fleece floor, a water bottle, and some hide outs made from cardboard boxes.

It's very hard for us, as predator animals who are used to predator pets (dogs and cats) to get used to the prey mentality. I think we'd all agree to that from experience.

JodiMN

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:51 pm

Both my guys vibrate, I always thought that was that purr I've read about. It always happens when things are calm and quiet and they're getting lots of scritches and love.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:52 pm

They're all so different...it could just be the personalities of your particular pigs. My husband and I currently have 8 boars. Of those, only four are really what I would call "affectionate." Zachary and Henry are the friendliest and love to be held. Tobias tolerates it for a short time, especially with my husband. Sebastian loves being held by my husband, but has always disliked me.

Otis, Petie, Oliver and Sidney don't like being held at all. Otis vibrates all over when held and is terrified (adopted as a baby, and he's 3 years old now); Oliver couldn't care less either way (adopted when he was almost 2); Petie dislikes people AND other pigs (we've also had him from a very young age).

What was interesting to me, was when we pig-sat over the summer. Two boars came to stay with us who were incredibly friendly and begged us for treats and to be held. It made me wonder what we were doing wrong with OUR pigs.

Like I said, they're all different. You might never find that your current pigs are really "people" pigs. Or they might come around eventually. We adopted a senior boar back in August who took to us immediately. Same with Winston, who passed last year. Other pigs have taken a long time to become comfortable with us. Zachary is the most loving little pig imaginable, but he still runs like crazy when we go to pick him up.

So don't feel bad, and don't despair. Even if they never become "lap pigs," you can still enjoy the company of your girls. ;-)

Tammy

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:00 am

All my piggies run like the butcher was coming after them. Yeah, still after 5 years! Other than that, they're calm and quiet when you go in the cage to pet and scritch them behind the ears. It will take then a while before they come running to the front of the cage.

It's been 3 weeks and Mochi is only half way to the front of the cage when it's time for food.

Pinklady
Pigtastic baby!

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:11 am

Piggies are very complicated animals in this respect! When I go to pick my boys up from their house you would think I repeatedly beat them the way they act. They can't get away fast enough (although they are slower than they think!). Then I have unhappy grumblings until they are quietly settled down in the crook of my arm (wooly jumpers are most appreciated).

I often find that it is worse if I take them out together. I think sometimes one gets jealous if the other gets more scratches. Although there is a bit of "don't forget about me" wheeking from the one left behind.

I have always felt that Goose and Maverick didn't like me and that everyone else's pigs were much more affectionate. However I was so delighted the other day. They were playing on the kitchen floor and I was stood in the doorway. When I called Goose's name he came running over to me!!! Maybe I am not so unloved after all.

One tip I would give is that they are much happier when I take them out of the cage and put them straight in their puppy bed to carry them. I think there is a quite understandable feeling of not being terribly secure when carried. It must seem a long way down for a pig when they are in your arms.

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:15 am

Cuzko demands lovins every day. But she was hand raised, so she doesn't know any different. Oaxaca on the other hand is very skittish, but he's coming around slowly.

Some pigs just aren't into the whole human interaction thing. If they like chin scratches, that's something.