Has anyone used Infacol for bloat (ie. Simethicone)?

Tracygps

Post   » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:47 am

I have some guinea pigs with a mild case of bloat and I was wanting to know if anyone had used Infacol (Simethicone 100mg/1ml) for bloat in their piggies, and if so what was the dose used and how quickly did it work, if it did? I have tried their other bloat medicines and gripe water and nothing has worked and I thought that since Simethicone is the ingredient for human bloat medicine it might work, and I spoke to Vedra from the CCT Hospital and she said they use Birp which simethicone is the active ingredient of. Infacol is used for babies with bloat and wind. If anyone has used a bloat medicine which has had simethicone as the active ingredient could you please tell me what the strength was (ie. how many mg of simethicone per ml of medicine) and the dose that they gave their pigs and how often and if it worked? I am desperate for a quick answer so that I can go out and buy some and administer it asap. My guinea pigs are still eating fine and moving about with no trouble.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:59 am

I believe that is what is recomended here at GL to treat bloat. Let me do a quick search and see if I come up with something.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:40 am

Reglan is better for Bloat (metoclopramide).

Exotic Companion Medicine Handbook lists the cavy dose as:
.5 mg/kg SQ every 8 hours. Reglan comes in an injectable or oral liquid form. The injectable is best to start with if the cavy is quite uncomfortable or not eating. The oral dose is the same
as the injected dose - .5 mg/kg. Once the cavy is starting to poop normally the doses can be cut down to twice daily.

Don't delay treatment if they actually have Bloat.