My guinea pigs don't like us!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:09 am

Do you wrap them up in a hand towel or small blanket when holding them?

I've had some pigs that like being held, others that can stand 5 minutes of it before they want to be anywhere else but in your lap. But I've had some that were nervous until I bundled them up, at which point they relaxed. I've also had some that are happiest if they're having lap time with another pig. Willow hates to be alone, but settles right down if Pippin is with her. Teddi was the same way (although for her, that meant she'd be still for 10 minutes, instead of 5, before pestering her sister).

I've also discovered that sometimes they get nervous because they need to pee, and don't want to pee on you. Eclair used to do this - so I'd put her back in her cage long enough to pee, and pick her up again and she'd be fine.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:20 am

Not all of my pigs have been like Steve and Jules and Max. They were incredibly friendly and social toward people.

I find it easier if I hold them on my lap in a towel or cuddle cup (the one I just got is getting a lot of use!). Something they can hide in/be warm but also be near me. None of my current pigs like to be picked up even though the Little Guys have been with either me or my mother all their lives. Gus is getting better about it and once he's out, he makes himself comfy. It's just the getting out he's not too sure of.

Enjoy your pigs for who they are. Many pigs mellow as they age and you may find your efforts paying off later. Even if they never like lap time, try things like setting up mazes or interesting floortime and sitting on the floor with them. Give them a hidey spot when they're out so they have options besides the cage.

Edit to add: Gus will start shifting and chewing on the cuddle cup if he needs to pee. If I ignore this, it's my own fault.
Last edited by RavenShade on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pinklady
Pigtastic baby!

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:21 am

PooksiedAnimals, I get that from Maverick too. After about 15 minutes of cuddles he starts to wheek really loudly and I know it is time for him to go back in his house. He starts wriggling around to find somewhere to pee.

If I ignore him (which I quickly learned not to do) then a little puddle appears and he looks at me as if to say "well I did tell you".

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:57 am

mayo377, I understand your feeling they don't like you. I think some of us humans expect them to act differently than they do and this may be part of the reason that people "get rid" of these little guys instead of enjoying them for who they are. And each one is different.

Of the three pigs that spent the longest time with me, one would tolerate my holding her so long as the food bribe I had was not eaten. Then she tugged on my clothes violently, indicating she had had enough of me. She did like chin rubs though.

Another would sit on my lap with her butt in my face. Did not relate to me at all. Had no use for sitting in my lap.

Another pig that was eventually the last pig I had would run up and hide her head near my cheek. She eventually learned to relax and I think I enjoyed her more as a lap pig than any of the others. Still loved the violent tugger (who was a real character) very very much.

What I did was give my pigs a room so they could go from one area to another. It was fun to see them on the move. Groups of pigs are good to observe.

I think you need to enjoy that contact you do have with them in the cage more. They have learned to trust you. Perhaps watch and interact with them more in the cage too. Think about giving them a space large enough that you can join them on the floor.

rpaws

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:37 am

Welcome to my world. It takes time, time, bribes, time, bribes, and more time before a guinea pig learns to ‘relax’, if it can be stated a guinea pig can ever relax.

I’ve told this story several times before on Guinealynx, but when I adopted my present two girls, you had to know I had guinea pigs to know I had them. Otherwise, all you saw was an apparently empty cage. Whenever I entered their room, both sandwiched their bulk, an excess of 6+ lbs. of guinea pig, into 1 big pigloo. (They now both have their own pigloo.) I would have to leave the room and shut the door behind me before they would emerge to eat anything. It took about 1 ½ years before they decided I just might NOT be trying to do away with them.

Now sometimes, they will take favorite treats from my hand. Even rarer, they sometimes will let me touch them in the cage.

They are still skittish and don’t like being handled. My more dominant one seems to really like my sister. She has a habit of staring at her when she comes. My sister can pick up her and hold her for about 2 minutes. Then the guinea pig tugs on her clothing to let her know she’s had enough (both of them will also tug at your clothes to signal they have to go potty) and would like to be returned to the cage.

They both seem happiest in their cage. Watching them, I kind of feel I have my own private 'guinea pig cable channel' that never shows the same movie twice.

Even my foster girl, who is grateful for any attention and will let you freely pet her in the cage, will run when startled. However, when I try to pick up her, she will always run around the cage like her backside is on fire. What seems to work is guiding her into her litter box. I then pick up the litter box and can get her. Once with me, she will sit and sit, taking treats ,‘watching’ television, and making her own ‘snack chips.’

sweetpea

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:51 pm

My son feels the same way as you.
But they are fine and will stay in his lap when he sits.

I have a girl (Grace) since she was born. She still screams if you pick her up. Grace will even try to get back into the cage if she can see it.
I sit with her in a different room and she is fine happy sitting in my lap. But she does like ie when I have an arm around her. Kinda hugging her.

So give them time they will be relaxed in your arms the more you give them some one on one.

catzattack
Piggie Power

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:53 pm

I thought I was the only one who had skittish piggies! My two take much patience and time, but I can usually get at least Charley to come to me and sniff my fingers. I do know that pigs want attention from their owners. When I adopted my two babies out last weekend to a true piggie lover, (she has 39 of them!) she gave me a pig by pig tour. She took almost each and every one out for me to hold. Most of them were very tame and were rescues from horrid situations. The one that I found most endearing was a blind pig, a lethal, she called him. He came up to her when he heard her and wheeeeeeeeeked ever so sweetly for her to pick him up. What a doll. She had another with a handicap, a twisted arm, that she called "Twisted Pretzel". Each and every one was well taken care of and loved and it-oh-so showed by their attitude. It was very heartwarming, and although she does have many pigs, I am so glad I gave them to her and her husband. She frequents this website, so if you are reading this....Thank you for everything, you are a true blessing!

TCsHuman

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:17 pm

What's "weary" of people?? Are they tired of them?? I know many pigs are "wary" of people (scared of them).

Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, but that common mistake along with "skiddish" when the word is skittish, drive my English loving/teacher self crazy. Not that I don't make plenty of errors myself......

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:20 pm

Wow, I always thought it was skittish but assumed I was wrong when I kept seeing skiddish! Good to know.

new piggie mom

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:16 pm

Lynx's idea is very good, working with them in their cage. I also take mine visiting with me. I thought, at first, it would be stressful for them, but I find they become bolder, somehow.

I recently got a piggie for the very first time. I guess I was very lucky, and had help in selecting her (ha ha, I was told "THIS is the girl for you".)

She was just a few weeks old but VERY laid-back, and I was told that they are pretty much born with distinct personalities that don't change too much as they get older (other than mellowing out more with age), except possibly through trauma or, conversly, with lots of patient handing. She has remained a remarkable girl and continues to blossom, so I am sure he was right.

That said, I am finding that, with my second, older, more nervous girl, removing her 'hidey house' actually calms her down. (Author Peter Gurney recommends removing houses, too.) It may be that having a place to rush into simply reinforces their fear of the unknown and perpetuates timidity.

My very tame girl has hidey holes, and rarely ducks into them. The new girl gets VERY flighty when she has hers, but will allow (and seems to enjoy) gentle petting and handling, when she does not have access to one. She even becomes friendly and interactive.

I am starting to wonder if gentle, considerate, deliberate exposure to new things and events can help create a more confident and trusting pig. Kind of like "sacking out" a horse (it's called 'de-sensitizing').

Some people may get upset with me for saying this, but I adore my piggies and would never, ever cause them harm. I feel they are happier and healthier when totally at ease with us. You obviously love your pigs very much and want them to be happy, too.

So, perhaps conscientiously and gently 'imposing' yourself and new situations on your pigs might help them break out of their shells? To paraphrase, Peter Gurney says 'you can't handle your pigs too much'.

I would be interested in knowing what other people think.

Good luck!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:35 pm

I was told "this is the pig for you" by a worker at the shelter and she was right too. I couldn't ask for a better pig. My new rescue is more skittish but that's to be expected. He's only been here 2 months.

I also advocate removing hidie houses but only for short periods of time. As prey animals, I think it's unfair to force them to live entirely exposed to The Hand Predator but it can absoutely help then become more accustomed to being outside the safe place. I would start with maybe 30 minutes without the house a day without any intrusions into the cage, just letting them explore and watch you and take your gut reaction from there.

What you're basicly describing in better words than I did before is desensitisation therapy. It's commonly used in humans with phobias and also with feral cats and stray dogs. It seems to work pretty darn well but it's a sloooow process, as it should be.

new piggie mom

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:12 pm

rshevin, I am so curious about your handsome avatar pig, is there a thread about your pigs here?