Cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil and Tanuki

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:35 pm

I was watching TV one day and now they are trying to say coconut oil is ok because it isn't a transfat. It's pretty stupid really.

twofinepigs

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:36 pm

Almonds also contribute to that joyful balance.

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:50 pm

Hydrogenated coconut oil is satured and bad. This stuff is non-hydrogenated so supposedly very healthy.

I'll call my vet tomorrow, and if I can an appointment Tuesday, I'll go then. I have some transportation issues the rest of the week, so if not Tuesday, I hope waiting until next Monday is okay. It doesn't seem to itch or bother him at all.

I want to get him neutered soon, so a vet visit is in order anyway. After he attacked Costanza I don't trust him with boars, so I think it's his only chance at having a friend.

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:57 pm

OK, y'all need an Almond Joy break. Coconut, chocolate, almonds? Hmmm?

It's kinda funny that you referred to him as a hippo Holly. Isn't it Sari?

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Yes, yes it is.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:12 pm

Look! It's Tanuki's evil twin brother from an alternate universe.

CavyConfusion
Cavy Slave since '05

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:38 am

Tanuki is a cutie. I've joked with my husband that I would love a hairless because it would be the closest thing to a baby hippo in my lap.

The local WalMart has coconut oil, but it isn't the organic extra virgin. It can be used like shortening in cooking. I store mine at room temperature.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:07 am

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:15 am

Get rid of fungus!!

Yea - hydrogenization and heating of the oil is what makes it crappy for people.

And now you know all the good it can do you too!! Little for Tanuki, little for mama's feetz!

It can be used like shortening, it has a higher smoking temperature than some other oils, but it turns into not great for you then.

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:05 am

Ok, I called the vet and I have an appointment at 11am tomorrow.

I scheduled the appointment to have a look at his nose, and also to ask questions to see if I want this vet to neuter Tanuki. So I've read the Cavy Spirit page on neutering, and plan to print it out and ask all the questions suggested, but is there else anything I should know or ask about? I don't have a clue about this vet's surgical skills, so anything to help figure out if I should trust this vet will help.

Oh and should I mention the coconut oil? Or just ask for Program? 'm assuming Program is available in Canada?

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:07 am

I've never had a pig neutered but isn't one of the key questions supposed to be "how many guinea pigs do you neuter a year/month?" Who neutered Costanza for you? Or is he with a spayed sow? I can't remember.

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:13 am

Costanza is intact. He's with a spayed sow, who was spayed in rescue due to a really bad uterine infection before I got her.

Ideally it would be nice to just find a spayed sow for Tanuki, too, but it's not so easy. He really seems to want to have a friend to play with.