Cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil and Tanuki

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:15 am

If you still have a contact with the rescue still, I would call and see what they think of this vet and who they recommend.

I also think it's been far too long since we've seen pictures of Costanza in the random pictures thread too. I don't think I've ever seen your little lady either! I'll just have to run over to GPC and poke around then. :-P

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:25 am

My rescue contact was AliceMcmallis :)

I did ask her about neutering before, and I could go to Dr. Munn, but that is maybe an hour and a half drive from me, so I'd like to get it done closer to home if possible. If I end up not trusting the vet, then I'll start thinking about travelling to do it.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:50 am

Sounds like a plan to me.

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:15 pm

I was so happy to see this thread today!!! My girls are doing so much better now as well. I found the coconut oil and it was actually really reasonable here. I started it on Friday and they look great! Your lil Tanuki is precious!

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:03 pm

I just got back from the vet. She doesn't think anything is wrong with him. I'm just a paranoid mommy, I guess.

On the plus side, I think I can trust her to neuter him.

I'm going to keep doing the coconut oil, just to see if it make a difference.

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:33 pm

I love your little skinny. So glad that he's doing better.

I was so happy to see this thread too. I had just added a thread the other day to the medical forum about the wonders of coconut oil. My Tina had a fungus last summer that I battled for months with a prescription. (As an aside, I had confirmation that it was ring worm because I used to cuddle with her up next to my face and got ring worm myself, ugh!) She just got another fungal infection a few weeks ago and I remembered someone talking about coconut oil. I tried it and within a week she had new hair. It's a miracle! Love this stuff.

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:40 pm

Pogolysmom, how often were you applying the oil? And how thick?

If it worked for you, I want to make sure I am using it the same way!

I also forgot the other bonus of the vet trip... The vet might know of some babies that need homes when they are born in a few weeks, and the mom is long haired - a long haired sow would be perfect for Tanuki, and I never thought I'd get a baby, but it would be awesome if I did!

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 pm

I put it on twice a day. I have a small (1.5") wooden spatula that the health food store gave me. I scrape out about 1/4 teaspoon and rub it on her bum. It immediately melts into her skin.

All the best for your little skinny.

LandosMomma

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:58 pm

I haven't been using that much even here. I rub it on my hands first and work it into their skin. I should try using a little more. It is great for that stubborn spot where the scent gland is and the crud that builds up there. It came right off! I have also only done it once a day. Good thing is they love it and allow me to do it. I was worried they'd pitch a fit about it.

LandosMomma

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:59 pm

Oh and you know we need pictures of his new friend as soon as they come home!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:33 pm

Well, I finally broke down and got some for my household too. My poor kitty is scratching himself absoutely raw and I don't know what to do about it so we're going to try the coconut oil on his skin first. Also, Piggy has one of the worst grease glands I've ever seen so I'm going to use it on him too.

Here's the thing though, it says extra virgin coconut oil medium chain fatty acids but nothing specifically about "cold pressed." Do I need to return it and keep searching or will this work?

lisam

Post   » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:54 pm

I may try it on one of the teddies here at the rescue. He's been treated for mites and fungus already. It's basically just dry dandruffy skin.