Cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil and Tanuki

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm

BL and others, I'm doing some interesting research on the coconut oil. The first page I found suggests that yes, extra virgin coconut oil IS, by definition, cold pressed.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/what_ ... ut_oil.htm

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:01 pm

From that site: "Methods which can be used to separate the oil from the water include boiling, fermentation, refrigeration, enzymes and mechanical centrifuge." So if they boil it, it isn't cold-pressed methinks?

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:04 pm

Correct.

You can bet Trader Joes has it.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:34 pm

This is why I don't usually do natural supplements. My head hurts trying to figure all this out and find what I'm looking for. I always feel so stupid in those stores and bad because I'm not a vegan.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Do not feel stupid. Even if you are a vegan if you do not know the place you are going carries the thing you are looking for, you do not know where to find it!

I love to be there. Gives me hope I can be better than I am about stuff that I am not.

And even being vegan does not stop you from abusing run-on sentences!

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm sorry about the run-on sentences. I guess I'm bad about them.

I just feel very self-conscious in those stores because there is usually no one else there but the employees and they stare at me. That's actually something I like about Trader Joe's. There are so many people there that you don't feel self conscious. I have a friend that wanted to go out there with me. Maybe we'll go this weekend.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:57 pm

Oh, I got a really snotty reply from the company that makes the coconut oil I bought.

"Salutations

And thank you for contacting Source Naturals

Source Naturals Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is comparable to extra virgin olive oil which means that the oil is minimally processed and refined; by definition extra virgin is described as "made from the first pressing… (dictionary.com)."
"

My email read:
Is your Extra Virgin Coconut Oil cold pressed or has it been exposed to heat in any way?

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Oh I was staring right at the stuff and still didn't see it when I went into the little tiny store. I asked the lady who worked there for exactly what I wanted, and she knew exactly what I was talking about. And looked at me funny for not seeing it. Then I almost knocked over a shelf with my backpack! Talk about feeling self-conscious :) But worth it for the pigs.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:01 pm

Sorry Rach - I was not being a finger pointer at you - I was being a finger pointer at me!!

Well, thanks kind and courteous Oil Dude.

Gaar!

At least you did not knock over a shelf with your bottom Fairysari - that would be even worse in the self-conscious department!

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:02 pm

I am very close to writing him a snotty reply back. If he actually bothered to learn about his products from a source other than dictionary.com, he might actually be helpful.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:13 am

I think I have a nice, snooty reply. "I would appreciate it if you would forward my querry to someone familiar with the product line. I assure you I am perfectly capable of consulting common internet references such as dictionary.com and Google on my own."

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:09 pm

That sounds like a good response. I would aso tack the question onto the end of that second email again, just so the dude had no excuse for being as smart as a doorknob.