Which AB for emaciated pig?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:08 pm

I'd go for 30-35 cc of LRS. Reglan, give 1 mg/kg PO (orally), IM,or SQ q12h. 0.5 to 0.6 mg sounds about right. Dosage is the same not matter the route. The temp. is better (100-102.5 is normal).

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:21 pm

Thank you Josephine, that's helpful. The ER vet who saw him yesterday was at least marginally knowledgeable about guinea pigs (mostly due to seeing mine) but the vet tonight will not have a clue.

He has still not pooped, so onto the second dose of Reglan.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:35 pm

You're continuing to force-feed, right?

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:45 pm

Yes, 10cc of Critical Care and 10cc of Pedialyte every 3 hours, plus liquid C, poop soup, reglan, Meloxicam, Baytril. His eyes are weeping so I am putting bnp in them. He also has some sores on his back feet. Right now, I'm going to put him in warm water and massage his abdomen.

He smells awful, like human urine. I can't explain it.

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:56 pm

I don't know if I'd bathe him while he's really weak. The stress and temp change of drying off may be too stressful for him.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:58 pm

I was thinking that massaging the abdomen in warm water might stimulate his bowels. So you think this is not a good idea?

His stomach is painful.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:01 pm

Do you think the smell is coming from his mouth? Molar problems and certain metabolic changes can cause a urine-like breath.

Poor guy. It could also just be his previous poor living conditions. Some pet stores and animals living even temporarily there reek of urine (ammonia).

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:04 pm

You don't need warm water to massage his tummy. If it's painful, I would be very careful. I'd also be careful with the forcefeeding until he poops. If his tummy's too full and the food isn't moving thru it will be painful.

SQs and Reglan will help the most.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

I think the warmth (perhaps just a heating pad) and a tummy rub might help. It's so hard to say. They can't tell us where or how they hurt.

Charybdis

The smell is strongest near his face, so it could be coming from his mouth. I'm pretty sure he has molar problems.

So no warm soak then. He squeals when I touch his stomach.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:09 pm

Did I mention that he has mites?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:11 pm

No, but I'm sure that's the least of his problems.