Which AB for emaciated pig?

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:27 pm

It's just typical, of course.

His anal sac was full of gunk so I cleaned that out and massaged the area with some mineral oil. There is a sore on one of his testicles and a bony protrusion just at the base of his spine. It's poking out just above the testicles and feels like flexible cartilage, not bone. It moves around. Could that just be his tailbone?

Damn the vet for taking Wednesdays off. Why do these things always happen on Tuesday?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:33 pm

Yes, it is the tailbone.

Well, even the most dedicated vets need to recharge. How else would we survive with all of the ignorant and rude owners out there?

(I do know what you mean...)

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:00 pm

Hallelujah. 5 tiny poops.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:03 pm

This sent from Mel on calculating the Meloxicam dose:
The dose is 0.2-0.5mg/kg. Here's how to calculate his dose as his weight goes up.

Weight in Kg x 0.2mg or 0.5mg = the # of mg he will get

Take # of mg and divide by 0.85 (you have 0.85mg/ml) = # of ml

So:

530g = 0.53kg

0.53kg x 0.2mg = 0.106mg

0.106mg / 0.85 = 0.12ml

And for the high end of the dose:

0.53kg x 0.5mg = 0.265mg

0.265mg / 0.85 = 0.31ml

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:25 pm

Well, he is still with us. His weight is up to 700g and he is dispensing small, light brown, moist poops. He has suddenly become combative about feeding and I don't know if that's a good sign or not.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us. We are seeing the vet tonight and, if the cost runs too high, the owners may want to take him home and let him die rather than treat him. And since they won't surrender to us, the pig's fate is not in our hands.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:51 pm

Why would the owners want him back? They weren't caring for him. How did you end up with him if he wasn't a surrender?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:56 pm

How much does Dr. R charge for euthanization? Would that be in her price limit? I'd rather see that happen than send him back alive to die.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:59 pm

The family will not allow me to euthanize him. They wanted to euthanize him at home. I had to do a lot of fast talking to get them to bring me the pig. I know this family, and they trust me. I don't have any legal rights to the pig, just trying to help him all I can.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:00 pm

Sounds like they want him to die at home. Doesn't sound like they have any way of euthanizing.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:02 pm

painkillers.

He is not at death's door yet. He is in this condition because they refused treatment at several vet's. I don't think he is ready to die.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:03 pm

Don't they realize painkillers would be a horrible way to die?

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:04 pm

How in the heck are they going to humanely euthanize at home??????? Freezer, Co2 chamber, shotgun, overdose pain meds?????

That is one procedure I will pay any price to have done humanely.

Poor Chary, You are between a rock and a hard place with this case. I am very glad I'm not in your place. Hang in there and let's hope for the best.

If $$$$ are an issue for the owner , PM me.