Which AB for emaciated pig?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:04 pm

They believe that euthanasia is a horrible way to die.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:06 pm

What the crap are they thinking? Painkillers is not euthanasia? Don't they see the connection?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:07 pm

Perhaps the idea is to give him enough painkillers to make him comfortable and then let him expire naturally.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:09 pm

I guess there is no reasoning with some people. This doesn't make sense. This pig is dying a slow death because of the owners yet they want to make him comfortable. I just don't get it.

pigluvver

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:26 pm

Can you not get the RSPCA equivalent to intervene on his behalf? He sounds bad enough to warrant it, especially if the owner is talking DIY euthanasia.
Poor little guy.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:31 pm

Do they know how euthanization at the vets works?

What the eff is wrong with them. They neglect him to the point of death and pretend to give a shit about how he dies?

I suspect they're just too effing cheap and selfish to pay for a professional euthanization. I'm sorry you have to know assholes like this.

He is doomed if he goes back to them. Especially if he has molar problems.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:01 pm

Maybe we should chip in for a hitman? What a bunch a whackos.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:22 pm

I'm just hoping that, if they see that proper vet care can make him better, they might be willing to take better care of him. I think they have given up and didn't know what to do.

They know how euthanization at the vet works. The mother asked me, and I gave her a very basic description, but she was very upset at the prospect. They are afraid of needles. I had to lie to them about getting him a subcue.

In their own way, I think they care about him and don't want to see him harmed--they just have a twisted way of interpreting "harm," which in their eyes does not include letting him die naturally, even if it means he will suffer.

We, on the other hand, believe in ending the suffering of animals and that allowing them to linger on is more harmful and painful for them.

I wish I knew a way out of this. We have explored other options, but the bottom line is, we have to give him back if they don't want him treated.

I would be happy to take on his care but we need them to sign a surrender form first and the daughter tells me that they would rather let the pig die than do that. Somewhere in there is perhaps a conviction that it is shameful to surrender one's pet; he is a rescue, as is their other pig. The family members are our volunteers.

The mother just called me in fact, and said that she had been praying that it is just his teeth and not some other problem. So they do love this pig, they just have different ideas about standards of care, however much it offends us.

His URI is responding to the Baytril now.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:48 pm

Hopefully you can talk them into doing the right thing. Have you been able to delve into the reasons as to why they would prefer it die rather than treat it? I wonder if they have terrible misconceptions that could be cleared up.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:57 pm

chary,
You are a model of dipolmacy. I'd likely be postal by now.

Just out of curiosity, do they also decline medical care for their children because of faith issues.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:25 pm

Julian, I was postal yesterday and got my directors very pissed off.

They did make limited attempts at getting veterinary care before this. They did not want to take the pig to my vet because his exam fee is $45.

So they hunted around and found one for less.

Vet #1: This vet did not examine the mouth. He told them that it was a vitamin deficiency and that the pig should receive vitamin C with acerola. The mother hunted all over the county for the correct supplement as the vet directed. The pig continued to decline.

Vet #2: Knowing their cost concerns, I sent them to the Banfield vet, who has treated my pigs in a pinch and has a passable knowledge of guinea pigs. The pig was not pooping then. But this vet also said--vitamin deficiency. He did not examine the mouth either.

Vet #3: By this time the pig was really going downhill, not eating, lost half his weight. This vet wanted them to leave the pig for a few days so that they could hand-feed him and get his strength up enough to put him under and examine the teeth. The mother refused at this point and took him home. The vet noted that the eyes were running, and gave them some Terramycin ointment.

So, in addition to the mother's fear of vet fees, we have failure on a large scale by the vets that she did visit. No one looked in his mouth. No one seemed perturbed by the fact that he only ate vegetables even when hay was available (which is why the idea of vitamin deficiency is absurd). No antibiotics were administered even when he was showing distinct signs of a URI.

And to top it off, he is covered with dandruff, his front toenails are completely curled under, and he has bumblefoot on the back feet. They were giving him vitamin C every day and a wide variety of vegetables, putting the ointment in his eyes, and syringing him a pellet mash and pedialyte, although not nearly enough of each.

They probably figured that they, and the pig, have had enough. So is it any wonder that the don't want more stuff done to him? I'm sure they have absolutely no faith in my vet, but they do have faith in me. And the few things over the past few months that I have told them about general cavy care, they have done. If I had seen the pig's feet and coat earlier they would probably also have treated those problems as I directed. The mother keeps telling me, "nobody told us."

And the son is so attached to his pigs that he gets in the bathtub to bathe them because he doesn't want them to be afraid.

I guess I am just beginning to see the many factors that go into animal neglect. It's important, I think, that we all understand the complexity of the issue. Some people try, but don't know how hard they have to try. Sometimes they spend, but not enough. They do what the vets tell them. They do what the pet stores tell them. They do what their parents tell them. That's a lot of voices to shout over.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:49 pm

If it is tooth problems, this can be very serious and not an easy fix at all. You describe very well a situation that is complicated by good intentions, lack of knowledge and incompetency. I am so sorry the vets failed this pig, whether in the end the owners would have followed their advice or not.