Candy - weightloss

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:48 pm

Mum, try to relax and think positive. I am not sure if you knew about the the breeding pair I rescued this last summer, but they were in terrable condition, matted, and covered in feces. The smell was so bad I could barely make the two hour trip bringing them home and literally felt like I was going to be sick several times thoughout the journey.

When I brought her home she weight 900 grams, barely. Her spine stuck up on her back and I could feel her small frame under all of the matted, flithy hair. She lost more weight the first week she was here and I was worring about her as you are Candy. As the next week came about, Sidney began to perk up and she was beginning to learn what hay was. Slowly, but surely she gained back the weight lost and she started to put on more and more weight throughout the weeks that followed.

I write this to let you know, it is normal, don't fret, and stay positive. With your great care she is going to be big, strong, and "plump" in no time. Today Sidney is 1180 grams and is happy and healthy. She is the little pig in my avator and if I showed you her picture the day I took her in you would have a hard time believing she is the same pig. Candy will have the same happy story!!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:57 pm

Ah Weaver - thanks! That's so great to hear.

I would never normally worry about such a tiny weightloss. My concern was rather with a (small) trend, given that she's already so thin at 864 grams.

But hearing your story - and reading everyone's comments - makes me realize I'm being OTT about this :-p

(I don't think I'm normally particularly neurotic - must need hormones!)

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Here's some of your own advice back at 'cha. Small of amount of weight loss is nothing to be concerned about. Weigh her several times a day. :) Give her a scritch for me and a nose kiss from Fuzzy.

kellysed

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Wondering about carrots? I feed my two pigs - 4 small carrots in AM. They got more when they were young. They are now 4yrs old. Is this not a good thing? They get Oxbow pellets and hay/orchard grass everyday. In evening they are given either: green pepper, parsley, leaf lettuce, limited broccoli, occasional orange wedge. I thought seeded fruits like strawberries were bad. Mine also prefer veggies and don't care for fruits that much. I thought fruits had TOO much sugar - which is why I avoid them. I thought carrots were safer. Your diet area is first I read that carrots should be limited. WHY?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:24 pm

Kellysed, I copied your post and pasted it on to your own thread - and I answered it there, since it doesn't have any relation to the current thread.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 377#995377

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:26 pm

moved

pinta

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:19 am

I wouldn't be inclined to do a bunch of tests but an exam by a vet would be a good idea for a listen with a stehoscope and a palpation. If she's calm enough, an xray without sedation would be a good idea. Palpating can often identify a difference in kidney sizes or possible tumours/masses.

If she has cancer, the stress of a new environment could trigger a decline.

I don't know if Lotensin would any adverse effects on a pig with cancer. I already know it's okay for kidney pigs.

Subcue fluids would be a good idea.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:21 am

Oh hey yeah. I *am* on the way to Dr. R you know.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:47 am

Thanks, Pinta.

I'll see how she does the rest of this week.

One plus is that her fur is soft and in good condition, and her eyes look bright (for an older pig). She's alert and friendly, and I think she feels ok.

I hope I'll see some small weight gain soon.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:23 pm

I'm with most everyone else, just sit back and watch and weigh repeatedly. Could be the stress of everything, and it isn't that much of a weight loss.

(LOL Talishan re: the chant)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:10 pm

Candy has continued to bounce around in weight within an ounce or so (not more).

She drinks a ton of water, so I decided to check her blood glucose this morning as I had to cut her toenails anyway - I figured it was cheaper to buy a diabetic blood testing kit for $20 than to have blood drawn by the vet. It came out at 115, so at least I can rule out diabetes.

She's perkier than most of my heart pigs were without lotensin - not that she popcorns at all - she just seems pretty alert and doesn't sleep soundly. Of course I'd need an xray to get a better idea.

I'm hoping this week will see a small weight increase!

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm

I hope she gains weight too!

I never thought of doing blood glucose myself from a toenail overclip. I did do a urine stick on Smudgie because I had some test strips left over from a project at work. That isn't the most accurate way to test of course. I may just have to invest in a small meter. I'd like to test myself on occasion too because well, I'm just nerdy like that.

Not every pig popcorns. I think I've seen Piggy try only once in nearly 2 years. Maybe it's his weight but he's otherwise active and I have no other cause to suspect heart issues.

Send Miss Candy a kiss and tastey snack from me.