Which AB for emaciated pig?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:17 pm

This is a very sick pig. It would take significant time just for the bumblefoot alone. Plus, what if he gets the best treatment from here on out and still doesn't make it? I don't think the family would understand. I'm assuming they declined treatment at Dr. R's? This must be very difficult to watch.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:58 pm

So, in addition to the mother's fear of vet fees

Oh please don't dress this up as a phobia. She's too Effing cheap to get him the care he needs. She had a recommendation and chose to risk his health and probably pay more money in the long run by vet shopping.

I feel heartbroken for the kid but frankly the mother is a selfish idiot. "No one told us." Stupid excuse. She has a brain assumably and a mouth and a finger for dialing the phone. If she didn't know what to do she should have asked someone.

So they have a fear of needles??? Idiots. It's not them that get the needle. They certainly have no fear of ludicrous excuses. Tell them the pig can be sedated with Isoflurane gas - no needle - before being euthanized. I'm sure they'll have a fear of gas when they hear that.

Teeth problems do not have to be expensive after the initial dentalwork if they are the kind of problems that can be maintained with the Chin-Sling. Only a good vet will know if the teeth can be helped though. And the initial work must be done.

These people regard the pig as a possession. Theirs to do with what they will. The welfare of the pig is not a priority with these people. The pig is a priority only with the kid. There it is in a nutshell - she is willing to sacrifice the pig so her kid doesn't lose faith in her. I believe in her mind the pig is just a toy her kid doesn't want to part with and she doesn't want to upset him by taking the pig away.

We are adopting a rescue with teeth problems who was surrendered to our vet. The owners did not want to pay for dentalwork. The vet told them they would have to euthanize or surrender the pig to them or the pig would starve to death. They thought it over for a couple of days and surrendered Oscar. That was the responsible thing to do.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:07 pm

I'm assuming they declined treatment at Dr. R's?
We haven't been to see Dr. R yet--another hour. I promised the mother that I would call when I know anything.

Pinta, I understand and share your frustration, but I'm not free to vent it right now. If I don't remain calm, there is very little chance that they will trust me further with their pig. So I've avoided telling them just how insufficient their care has been.

A little good news: he came out of his little box and tried feebly to nibble on a piece of romaine, then gave up. That is at least a little improvement, because he hasn't moved in 48 hours.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:13 pm

Wait a minute - this is a rescue pig??? This pig is one of yours? Don't you have a contract that allows you to take him back if he's neglected?

This is not what a rescue pig is supposed to deal with with screened adopters.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:16 pm

Whoa....hold on there, Pinta. They did not adopt this pig from me. They took him from the owner of a pet store who was shut down for having unsanitary conditions. Their other pig they adopted from Fenella's rescue in San Diego, not from me.

And I agree, they should have been screened better.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:19 am

I undersand your position. It was in the same situation with the feral pigs. If I laid into them like I would have liked to the first day, I would not have been allowed acess back to them. They would have died. End of story

In the end, I just called the police and reported animal cruelty and discharging a gun in a public area.

It wasn't going to change anything by unloading on her as much as I would have loved to. She did call Teresa instead of continuing to let her son use them for target practice.

You are in my thoughts right now. I know it is very hard for you. Hopefully, if the pig survives you can work with the son to get him adequate care.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:03 am

No surprises here: URI, bumblefoot, mites, and....yes, the molars are overgrown. The vet thinks Humphrey is too weak to anaesthetize and wants me to nurse him for another week, then bring him back to do the teeth.

I called the daughter and she has volunteered to pay half the vet bills. I told her that the pig is generally in poor health and discussed how all of this was due to lack of proper care. I suggested that she talk with her brother about the things he needs to do regularly--clean the cage, clip the nails, clean the anal sac, weigh the pig. She said that she had already suggested to her brother that he surrender the pig if he was not willing to give it 110% this time around.

Then I spoke with the mother. She was waiting by the phone. She agreed to pay the other half of the vet bills. I told her about the mites and everything else. She is bringing her other pig out here tomorrow to have me clip his nails and dose him with Ivermectin. I told her that the teeth problem could be a recurring thing and that she needed to take Humphrey back to a good vet to recheck the teeth after they are done. She told me that she will only bring her pigs to Dr. R from now on. I hope she means it.

I didn't mention surrendering to her. The thing is, taking away their pet isn't going to teach them anything and they still have another pig. Hopefully, they are starting to realize that all this could have been prevented. If they want to surrender, of course I will take him. If not, I think they trust me enough to let me supervise his care. He'll be with me for a little while, though.

Ok, in other news....Dr. R gave me a whole bunch of LRS and SQ supplies. That will help a lot in situations like this.

pinta

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:23 am

Whoa....hold on there, Pinta.

Hold on yourself. They were questions not statements, hence the question marks at the end of the sentences. The questions were based on the information you posted.

Damned shame they didn't feel like paying vet bills before he got to this state.

Gez

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:27 am

I'm sure that with better husbandary and vet treatment ASAP, It would be cheaper for short-term ABs and dental work that one big gigantic bill for SQ, dental work, ABs etc etc.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:47 am

Chary, I am so glad things seem to be working out for you and this pig. I got the original email that was passed around just last night, as it was sent to my old email address. I'm sorry I was out of the loop on this one. You're such a good person though - I just wish there was something I could have done. Sounds like you've got it covered though. Congratulations and good luck making this little guy all better.

Becky

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:06 am

I hope the pig makes it.

Chary, if you ever find yourself needing to buy butterfly needles, I found a source on the internet that's much cheaper than the vet. (Here they charge $3.00/needle).

Good luck.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:02 pm

Thanks Becky, that's very useful.

I have a question. Dr. R said that he thought Humphrey could use a bath "in a couple days" and that it would probably make him feel better. He's terribly dirty, matted, and smells.

He is also riddled with mites, and probably anemic. So I need to treat him topically with Ivermectin right away (not going to mix up an oral batch for one pig).

So, if I dose him now, how long do I have to wait to bathe him? Or should I just bathe him now and then dose him?

The URI is under control, btw.