Which AB for emaciated pig?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:14 pm

I would bath him and then dose him. That way you know the dose is still there.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:59 pm

Here's a wierd one.

Humphrey's family came to see him tonight. At my request they brought their other pig so that I could have a look at him and treat him for mites. I was certain that the other one would be in similar shape.

But what they brought was just about the healthiest pig I've ever seen. He was a gorgeous stocky Peruvian. Feet were fine. Not a speck of dandruff on him and no sign of any illness whatsoever. They brought him in a box with a pile of green timothy and a little bowl of romaine. They were holding a water bottle up for him to drink from, even though they only drove 1/2 hour. Obviously a pampered pig. He weighed 1200g.

The mother started crying when I told her how easy it was for Dr. R to determine that Humphrey's teeth were overgrown. They paid me for the vet bills and bought a bag of Cavy Cuisine and went home. Strange.

Humphrey got a bath today, a nail trim, some topical Ivermectin, and ointment on his feet. He is still weak but is now coming out of his box when it is about time for me to feed him.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:09 pm

That's wonderful news!

tis strange though...

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:46 am

Chary,

Your diplomacy skills may make a huge change in their treatment of their pets. They may want to do the right thing but have no idea how to do it. I sure hope Humphrey pulls through and they will tap into your skills and expertise to keep him healthy. They obviously care, which is half the battle.

You are in a position to make a huge change in their family's pet husbandry. You'll rise to the ocassion, no doubt.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:00 pm

He is still very weak. If he is anemic, what can I do for him?

pinta

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:16 pm

You just have to keep handfeeding and hydrating with subcues. Give poops from a healthy pig for the B vitamins and good gut bacteria. Look for the lighter softer ones. At least one a day. I'm not sure whether it would be beneficial to give him more than that....You can get B vitamins from the vet. I don't know the dose. My vet injects them.

No surprise the other pig is in great shape. It's easy to keep a healthy pig healthy. But if that pig got sick he'd be in the same shape as the other one.

If a pig is ill and doesn't get immediate appropriate medical treament they go downhill fast. His teeth problems may even be related to the fact he hasn't been eating. Even if he is ill the molars will still grow. They can overgrow from not being ground by chewing as fast as 2 weeks. 4 weeks is the average time it takes for molar overgrowth.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:20 pm

This pig has been sick since they got him. I keep hinting to them that he might have deeper problems so that they know they have to be vigilant.

We do the poop soup thing several times a day. I will add some B-complex to his mash.

Question on the SQ: I am giving him 10-15ml of Pedialyte every 3 hours. He does not seem dehydrated anymore and his poops are small, but moist and light. Should I give him SQ anyway? How often and how much? I have a 20ml syringe.

pinta

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:01 pm

If this is every 3 hours thoughout the day, it sounds like he's getting at least 60mls of fluid daily so he should be okay as long as he is actually swallowing the Pedialyte.

Josephine will know if he should be getting more fluids than that daily.

This pig has been sick since they got him.

You're not making a case for them.

I keep hinting to them that he might have deeper problems

The fact he's 3/4 dead should be hint enough.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:09 pm

Like I said earlier, I understand and feel your frustration. But I have no position here other than to educate them and try to save the pig. I can't just snatch their pig away and shake my finger at them.

pinta

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm

I'm not frustrated. I'm resigned.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:31 pm

I'm not. Although I think that these people are not qualified to own pets, I have to at least try to make them better caretakers.

If there's anything to be pissed off about, it's the stupid laws that protect larger animals but not rodents. If this were a dog, I could call animal control and have him taken to a shelter. But I think that would still involve the owners signing him away to me to get my hands on him.

So the best shot I have is to make these people come to the realization that he would be better off in my hands. If I were resigned, that wouldn't get done now, would it? And it takes a lot more strength, I think, to hold my tongue and try to gently nudge them towards better care than to scream at them and hurl accusations. And part of that involves me trying to convince myself that they are capable of listening.

Believe me, if that pig dies because of their lack of proper care, you will see one hell of a rant pop up on here. Until then, I'll continue to do everything I can.

Pinta, you were right, btw, about the subcues. Although he was still pretty hydrated, I gave him 10cc of LRS with B-complex and he perked up a little.

Gez

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:56 am

Just make sure you nudge them in the direction of good husbandary hard enough for them to take notice.