Please Help! my 5 day old orphaned guinea pig refuses to eat

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:15 pm

It cant harm trying anything as an appetite stimulent in the short term can it?
Unfortunately yes - a great deal of harm can be done in a short time with such tiny babies.

Good news on the critical care (I didn't know you could get it in the UK?).

I hope the little one continues to do well.

ellissian

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:39 pm

I had some left over when my 2yr old boar Bobo had to go to the vets with diaorrehea (sadly he died). It was good news that the runt took the feed but it has just point blank refused the last feed. I wish it showed as much will to live as it does refusing food and it definately still has a good set of lungs, I will keep on trying the care but I dont think it looks good for him.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:48 pm

You really need to invest in a good scale, and weigh your pigs weekly. Most medical problems can be caught (with the help of weekly health checks and weigh-ins) and treated before the become fatal.

ellissian

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:53 pm

I know I will buy some scales asap.

Topaz

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:10 pm

Have you tried wrapping him in a towel and facing him towards you to get the critical care in? This method has worked very well for me. I sit on the floor, wrap them firmly but not too tightly in a small towel(like a burrito. You'd probably get away with using a washcloth as he's small), bend my knees up and sit them facing me. Then I gently hold their head and slide the syringe into the back/side of the mouth. When they start making chewing motions, gently squeeze a small amount at a time. And also, maybe if you try making it a little more watery he'd be more apt to take it.

I hope the babies make it. Don't give up trying with the critical care.

Laura

ellissian

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:22 pm

I have tried wrapping him up Laura, all he does is struggle and squeak till he sets himself free.

He seams to take it better when I just hold him in my hand but now he just pushes his head and mouth so far down onto my hand I find it impossible to get near his mouth without hurting him.

I have also tried sitting him on my lap and holding his mouth with one hand trying to open his mouth slightly, but that doesnt work either he has jaws like a vice.

The other babies are greedily taking food from a syringe I feel they will be ok.

He has a lot of will for a little baby if he doesnt want to do something.

I think he has lost the will to live, but I havent given up on him!

ellissian

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:24 pm

I also never appreciated how well a mother guinea pig took care of her babies.

I wash them gently after every feed but there fur never seems clean anymore.

I dont want to get them too wet so they get a chill

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:46 pm

Since this guinea pig has already had the wrong food for several days, it should absolutely not get just babyfood. It needs fiber. Your feeding Critical Care should help a great deal. Do the best you can. You can also make a paste and put some on a plate. Provide warmth so energy does not go into keeping them warm.

I know you are trying your best.

ellissian

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:55 pm

I have also wrapped a hot water bottle in a towel in their bed for warmth Ive done that since their mother was took from them.

How can I keep them clean though? Ive read that it makes them miserable if they have sticky fur, but like I said before I dont want to make them too wet to give them a chill.

Its so frustrating when you to everything you can to save a little babies life and the dont seem to want to make the effort themselves. Ive hardly slept since they were born last wednesday!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:12 pm

How warm is the room they are in? I don't know about the wisdom of cleaning a young pup but you don't want it cold and wet. You might also try a warm light safely in a corner to radiate heat (that they can move toward or away from -- make sure things don't get too hot).

ellissian

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:54 am

Thanks to everyone for your help yesterday.

Unfortuntately the tiny baby died a short time ago. x

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:34 am

I'm so sorry. It sounded like you were fighting an uphill battle with that one. At least you have the others doing well.