Candy - weightloss

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:04 pm

Just so you know, it was a regular toenail clip - I just knew that because her nails were pretty long that it was unlikely she'd had regular nail clippings. They always seem to bleed a little then!

The meter I got needs a very tiny sample - and it has the capillary action, so it's very easy to do.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:20 pm

I see what you mean. My definition of an "overclip" would be any time blood was drawn during trimming, even just a small drop but I suppose the real definition is clipping far enough up for a sufficent draw for a true analysis.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:05 pm

I took Candy in for a checkup today.

In the initial checkup:

heart sounded even but very fast
obviously out of condition
slightly runny eyes attributed to general poor condition
urine sample showed no protein in the urine

I asked for an xray (I just couldn't help myself!):

heart ok
lungs - doughnut shape and some small whisps
clump of small stones, probably in the bladder.

There was some slight confusion about these stones: my vet said they are probably in the bladder, however if this is the case then the bladder has been pushed off to one side, since this isn't the bladder's expected location.

She's going to start bactrim for any lung infection and any possible bacteria from the stones. Surgery isn't an option for this fragile girl. The vet also wants her on lasix to help clear the fluid from the lungs. It's good that she drinks a ton of water - this will help flush any bladder stones out.

With any luck she'll pass this clump of stones and a properly balanced diet will minimize any chances of them reforming (keep your fingers crossed).

Interestingly enough, from the xray the vet doesn't think she's a really old pig - maybe 4 years old.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:07 pm

That's odd. Good luck.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Best wishes to Candy.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:48 pm

Well, you should get an x-ray since you own the machine. ;-)

Hopefully she will pass the stones and as you mention, not reform them on a good diet and with good care. IMO 4 years of poor care = maybe 6 1/2 or 7 years 'effective' age, and the reverse as well. A well-cared-for 6 year old can be in 4 years' shape.

What does the doughnut shape and wisps in the lungs indicate?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:02 pm

The vet was a little vague on the lung findings but initially suggested just lasix to clear them out. I thought an a/b might be useful, and then we decided to definitely add bactrim because of the stones also.

With any luck the lung issues will go away. Of course you know what I'm thinking there :-p

I forgot to add that the Ph of her urine was 8. I'm not finding the norms for this but will keep looking.

My 5+ year old Goldie looks in much better shape than Candy - in fact you'd never know Goldie is that old!

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:34 pm

I wonder if she lived with a smoker. Whisps for some reason don't remind me of pneumonia but it's been a long time since my imaging class. I'll see if I can find my old radiology teaching files websites and flip through some human lung pictures.

Edit: The whisps were bright correct?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:41 pm

Yes, the whisps were little streaks. I've seen them before too on other pig xrays.

And one doughnut!

It's not pneumonia, we know that.

I've ordered some shilintong also, just because it's something I've never had in my medicine cabinet. I'm assuming she might benefit from metacam too - this must be uncomfortable.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:45 pm

I would agree. If she's that thin, even if she doesn't have scurvy, she must be at least a little achy. I would think a low dose would help her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:53 pm

I'm sorry about the stones. I hope diet helps in the future.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:00 pm

*Healing thoughts* sent to Candy.

Laura