How to take a pig's temp? (non emergency)

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:28 pm

I know this sounds like a stupid question, and I do understand the basics of taking a pig's temp. But I'd appreciate some guidance on the finer details involved in the procedure.

I bought a digital, rectal thermometer (the "quick read" variety that claims to give a temp in 10 seconds). I've seen my vet lubricate the thermometer and put it up the pig's butt. But where exactly does it go? Is the thermometer held in the perineal sac or in the rectum?

Or is taking temps something I should just leave to the vet? Obviously I'm not planning to do it on a regular basis, only when I suspect one of them is sick and want more info before running off to the vet. Until this point I've been going with the "Well, his feet feel warmer than usual" approach. I know lethargy is a sign of a fever or illness, but Rocky is such a lump to begin with it's hard to tell when he's lethargic. And he never seems to lose interest in food, so that's not necessarily a good indicator either.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:35 pm

Let's see what Mel or Josephine have to say -- or someone who's been watching their vet closely. Might be different techniques for males and females (never done it).

Bonnie

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:36 pm

What should a pig's temp be?

wheeky8

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:25 pm

From cavies.com: rectal temperature 101.5-103 degrees F

From Biomethodology of the Guinea Pig:

Body Temperature 37.2-39.5 C5

It shows body temp in Celcius. I don't have a convert table handy. Anyone care to convert it to F to compare?

[edited -- Lynx]

wheeky8

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:37 pm

ProVet Health Care:

Guinea Pig
99.0 - 103.0o F
37.2 - 39.5o C

Keep in mind, the U of Iowa table in the previous post is wrong in regards to puberty readiness and lifespan.
Last edited by wheeky8 on Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:42 pm

And in adult female body weight.

wheeky8

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:43 pm

I don't think they spoil their pigs like we do. ;)

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:45 pm

Seriously, though, that was Einstein's weight at his second or third visit to the vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:47 pm

I think she wanted advice on technique, not on temp ranges.

wheeky8, it is better to just put a link up and copy a couple short pieces of info instead of a larger block. Otherwise I have to delete. Please post a link to this sort of info. Thanks.

wheeky8

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:26 pm

Bonnie asked about normal temp. range.

samtesla

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:33 pm

Noone mentioned burrito-ing the piggie with the obligatory towel (that's what my vet did).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:20 pm

No, she was not inquiring about the normal temperature range, but instead asking about the actual technique used to take the temp. Maybe if you reread it, you'll see what I mean.