I need help with my vet visit.

cavyravy

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:20 am

Okay, I am searching all over this forum on info about URI's, heart pigs, pretty much anything to do with pigs' breathing. I am findng so much info that I really don't know how to place it. I wwould like direct instructions on what to say to my vet and what she should do. I'm stupid, I know, but I still want to make sure this is done right.

Bandit, as some of you know, has been breathing heavy for a while. He was put on Chlor Palm a while back, here's the thread: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... r+palm[url]

I made it quite confusing on what all happened with him. Long story short, he is still breathing heavy, now has crust eyes, so I suspect URI. He eats fine, he drinks normally, no weight loss, but lazy. He weights 2.13lbs.

I intend on a vet visit, but I want to know exactly what I should ask her to do. X-rays and so forth. Please help me as you all know what to do, and quite honestly, I get confused easily.

Call me whatever you want I just want to help my pig. Everyone tells me not to spend money on a $20 animal, but I can't do that. You guys are the only ones that understand. [/url]

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:48 am

First, write a summary of signs, treatment, and questions/desires to take with you. I find that way I don't forget anything or inadvertently leave out an important question.

If the pig has been seen by another vet in a different hospital, call the hospital ahead of time (a week is best if possible) to have them fax the records to the new vet. Either the old or new vet hospital can usually fulfill this request, but I prefer calling the clinic who has the records to save some running around.

It is reasonable to request xrays for an upper respiratory-type issue. There are many conditions that share signs in this region: tumors, asthma, bronchitis, URIs, pnemonia, and heart disease to name only a few. Xrays can help diagnose the problem. Make sure the vet does order two views (side and top to bottom). A separate series of at least two views may be needed of the skull and molars if the problem is not in the lungs. Usually, anesthesia is not required for any xrays, but may be suggested in skull/molar rads. A culture of snot may be helpful if it is a mucosy condition. A different antibiotic is called for. The vet should also do his/her best to ascult the lungs and see if the problem can be heard and info gathered.

Just be honest. The pig has been treated for such and such with such and such and (time, etc.) and is not well. Say that you'd like to find out why your pet is still ill/not well, including any tests to help diagnose the problem.

cavyravy

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:19 pm

Thanks so much Josephine. I'm going to write down everything you said. Now, on these x-rays, will they be able to see the heart and any problems that may or may not exist with it?

I am currently treating Bandit with Chlor Palm from the last URI, first dose last night, and he is not wheezing as much as before. I decided to do this after I checked the inside of his wrists after he wiped his nose, his nose was wet and his wrists discolored. I saw that somewhere on here.

He still eats like a pig, no pun intended, so I think he does have a URI, but he always has breathed heavily. Could it be because he's fat? I will be calling the vet today to make an appointment. Thanks again.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:09 pm

The xrays should show severe heart issues (if present). Cardiac ultrasound is best for viewing the heart, but even then may not show the complete picture if the murmur is slight.

Being obese probably doesn't help any of his issues. It only magnifies and accentuates the problems.

cavyravy

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:53 pm

He's 2lbs 13 oz. Is that considered overweight? When I first got him, he wasn't exactly an active pig, but I've noticed within the past couple of months, he is very lazy. He runs around during floor time with Riley, my peruvian, then has to lay down. I think its just that he is lazy, but I'm not a vet. He squeals and gets excited when I talk to him or rustle a bag, so he has some energy in him, but what pig doesn't when food is near. :o)

ursulaann

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:01 pm

I wouldn't consider 2lb 13oz to be overweight. I have a boar that is exactly 3 pounds and is in great health. As guinea pigs get older they don't seem to have the same energy level as a baby has but as long as your boar is getting exercise and plenty of floor time combined with a good diet, I wouldn't be too concerned about his weight. You might want to put the food and water on opposing sides of the cage to encourage him to get more exercise (I had to do that with my pregnant sow). But if you are concerned, I would definately ask your vet about that -- most vets that I have dealt with encourage you to ask questions.

Good luck with your vet visit!

cavyravy

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:04 pm

He eats really, really fast too. He doesn't appear to breathe when I give him lettuce, I mean he chews and chews and chews until its gone. This started when I got the other boar. By the way, Bandit is only about a year old.

ursulaann

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:07 pm

Sometimes eatting habits change when you introduce other guinea pigs, they believe that it's a competition for the food (even if there is TONS of food around). My oldest boar refused to eat any veggies until we got him a "girlfriend" (after he was neutered of course). Now it is a definate competition for who gets to eat the most.

cavyravy

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:10 pm

Yeah, I noticed that. Riley likes to take his time and enjoy his food, but Bandit, he wants it all. I have to pull him away from the veggies for a break to breathe. He also gets gassy after this.

If I feed them veggies together, Bandit pounds back his, then Rileys. I hear Riley's poor little squeal and I know exactly what is going on. the funny thing is, I will tap Bandit on the head, give the lettuce back to Riley, and Bandit will watch me. The second I turn my head he runs his fat butt over, I yell his name, and he backs off.

I swear he understands me completely.

cavyravy

Post   » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:45 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I posted about my vet visit, and if you haven't seen it yet, Bandit has an enlarged heart. When she told me, it wasn't a surprise, but I thought I was going to die. Bandit is my baby, he is just the sweetest thing. To think he was going through all of that discomfort kills me.