Mr. Snuggles's Neuter

ChadWPB

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:21 pm

Finally, an update!

We brought home the little guy after his overnight stay. We were greeted by a robust, hungry pig. My wife immediately served him a salad of romaine, green peppers and celery, which he wolfed down the entire way home.

He's resting comfortably in his C&C. The only difference is that he's currently bedded on towels. He ate even more veggies since coming home, and now he's bellied up to the hay bar. He moves around easily and is already trying to flip his pigloo.

I've also broke the news to Princess that she won't be the boss of her cage for too much longer.

Pigglies

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:40 pm

Yay! Great news. Glad to hear it went well and he's doing okay.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:43 pm

I was hoping you'd post good news soon. That's great! I hope there are no abscesses and he heals well.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:54 pm

I gather the best defense against abscesses is keep the towels clean. My wife's been sitting by his cage watching him since we came home.

We were going to keep him in his hospital cage for a day or two, but he seemed too restless and energetic.

Wheek Times 3

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:05 pm

I'm glad he's doing well!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:20 pm

Glad to hear Mr. Snuggles is doing well - he must be a tough guy.

LilSqueaker

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:57 pm

Great news!

savycavy_

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:06 pm

Glad he is doing well. You probably know this but don't put him in with the girls for I think they say 3 weeks incase there is still spirm in the tubes that hasn't died yet.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:20 pm

I've also broke the news to Princess that she won't be the boss of her cage for too much longer.

Yeah, right. Men always think they're in charge, and it's really the woman who runs things. Doom thinks he's in charge of his harem, when it's obviously Suzi that rules the cage.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:38 pm

savycavy - I am aware of that, we are waiting four weeks before placing him with his new harem.

Salan - I have experienced that with Fuzzie and Callie. You'd think that Fuzzie rules the roost, but Callie steals the food and often whips him into line with a nip to the nose.

Snuggles is more aggressive than Fuzzie. In the fights that he and Fuzzie had, Snuggles almost always was the "victor". Snuggles is also bigger than Fuzzie, and as you can see, extremely tough.

It will be interesting to see. Princess is a true diva sow, aptly named and a force to be reckoned with.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:47 pm

I think he'll be smitten with love and she'll walk all over him.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:49 pm

My wife thinks the same way. At the same time, he may be protective of the beta sow, Marilyn, whom is currently the target of Princess's bossing.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:54 pm

I don't know. When I had my male with three sows he ruled the roost.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:58 pm

Doom is kind of separate from the dominance battle going on between Suzi and Cuddles. He just wants them to shut up when he's trying to sleep, and to leave his hot pack alone so he can sleep on it. He's always been equally interested in humping each of them. He doesn't seem to care about their dominance ranking, they're just his women.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:00 pm

He's here with me next to the computer right now, nibbling on some hay. He is pooping copiously.

It's exciting, as I haven't had a 3-pig cage since 1988. At that time, it was all boars!

After his intro, we'll have no more singleton boars. Just happy harems.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:34 pm

Sometimes boars abscess because of a problem with the sutures: mine had a small abscess because the dissolveable suture was a bit too long, and stuck out, causing irritation and infection. We got it snipped off, cleaned him up, got ABs and he was fine. Keep a sharp lookout on his bits, particularly once the swelling goes down.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:01 pm

More update!

Mr. Snuggles is doing extremely well. Late last night, he started running around his C&C a bit, then started to popcorn! On one of the popcorns he actually got a couple of inches straight in the air! All this coming from a boar who rarely popcorns.

During floor time (cage change) he was running around and being his normal inquisitive self. It's almost as if he never got a neuter two days before. He's also eating and pooping a lot.

Today is weekly pig weigh day (although Snuggles is getting weighed every day for now) he was 3 lbs., 2.2 oz., up about a half ounce from last week. The suture area still looks clean, with no discharge or unusual swelling or redness.

I have been reassuring Snuggles that life for him will get really good in a few weeks.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:04 pm

How cool! I'm sure you will check the area in question daily to ensure something doesn't develop. Hope you are abscess free!

ChadWPB

Post   » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:07 pm

We check twice daily, once in the morning, once in the evening.

We also have put him on Carefresh now. He seems to enjoy it.

I'm just relieved to see him happy and active, and of course, eating. We've also noticed Marilyn (a future cagemate) often coming over to him to talk through the grids. It's cute to see them wheeking and sniffing each other.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:08 pm

Excellent news! Lynx is right about checking - my guy got his abscess at 3 weeks (obviously it had been lurking longer, and I wasn't sharp-eyed enough to see it until it burst - yuk!). I'd never make that mistake again. If his "bits" seem uneven, look for an abscess on the larger side.

21 posts